Energy Efficiency Standard for Social Housing Review - Just Transition, Metric and Heating System subgroup minutes: December 2022

Minutes from the meeting of the subgroup on 12 December 2022.

Attendees and apologies

  • Angela Morgan, Port of Leith Housing Association
  • Callum Neil, Scottish Government
  • Cassandra Dove, SFHA
  • Chris Morgan, John Gilbert Architects
  • Ciara O'Connor, Scottish Government
  • Patrick Mason, Scottish Government
  • Paul Boyle, Scottish Government
  • Scott Restrick, Link Group Ltd


  • Bruce Cuthbertson, Tenant representative
  • Duncan Smith, River Clyde Homes
  • Jackie Timmons, City of Edinburgh Council
  • Lori McElroy, University of Strathclyde
  • Paul Leask, Hjaltland Housing Association
  • Simon Roberts, Scottish Government

Items and actions

  • SG to consolidate the options papers into one paper. Due January 2023
  • PM to pull together outputs from the short life working group on presentation EPC assessment. Due January 2023
  • SG to get an update on the report of the tenement working group. Due January 2023


List of attendees available.

Ciara O’Connor welcomed everyone and opened for any comments on the minutes and actions of from last meeting. Everyone content. Patrick Mason and Paul Boyle joined the meeting to provide an update on the Scottish Government’s EPC reform.

Scottish Government's EPC reform

EPCs are a devolved matter, however the UK Government SAP methodology is used to calculate them. There is flexibility over the metrics, with a consultation in 2021 over a new metric.

Scottish Government are developing a fabric focused metric for inclusion on EPCs, which is the heat required by the heat source, excluding the heating system efficiency. The current metrics will also remain on the EPC.

The possibility of moving EPCs to a web based format is being looked at, which may allow some elements of  EPCs to be updated in real time such as the cost and carbon intensity of energy generation changes.

It was noted that it is important for EPCs to be levelled out, so that places with a colder climate in Scotland are not negatively impacted. 

EPCs will be consulted on in the spring of 2023. Patrick and Paul are to be more engaged with the EESSH2 review.

It was questioned whether the ratings could be based on kWh/m2/year, as this is straight forward to understand – consumers pay for their energy usage as a kWh rate.

It was noted there is research ongoing to understand options for whole building assessments.

Patrick noted the short life working group on the presentation of EPC assessment, which took place before Covid. There was no final paper produced due to the impact of the lockdowns, however Patrick will put together the outputs from the group.

It was noted the report from the tenement working group may be due soon. SG to get an update on this.

Paper review

Chris gave a summary of his paper, noting that including unregulated energy within the calculations would make them more accurate. Currently the only means of compliance is through SAP, there is a need to be more flexible with other means of compliance. Ventilation is an issue with current SAP, which will be resolved in rdSAP10.

Scott spoke to his paper, highlighting that EPC improvement measures costs/savings become out of date with changing prices.

Cassandra’s paper was discussed at the previous meeting.

SG to consolidate the options papers into one paper capturing the thinking of the group, building on the options table.

Any other business

The next meeting will be scheduled for the new year. 

Back to top