'Diversity in the teaching profession' is a sub-group of the Strategic Board for Teacher Education.
Further to the publication of the 'Teaching in a diverse Scotland: increasing and retaining minority ethnic teachers' report, there is a requirement to ensure its recommendations are fully implemented. This work contributes to the overarching race equality framework and action plan for Scotland 2016-2030.
The Strategic Board for Teacher Education will continue to have oversight of the national commitment to increase the number of under-represented groups at all levels across Scotland’s schools and will provide regular updates to the Equalities Unit within Scottish Government who have responsibility of the overarching race equality action plan.
According to the Equality and Human Rights Commission guidance, “The Equality Act 2010 says you must not be discriminated against because of your race. In the Equality Act, race can mean your colour, or your nationality (including your citizenship). It can also mean your ethnic or national origins, which may not be the same as your current nationality.”
The focus of the group's meetings is to agree steps to ensure the report’s recommendations are embedded across Scotland’s education sector.
The group meets three times per year to develop, lead, agree and monitor the report’s implementation plan contributing to regular requests to update the progress tracker. It provides feedback and advice on relevant knowledge, best practice and data to progress race equality across the sectors that will enhance the recommendations of the report.
Sector leads feedback to their sectors about meeting discussions and test change ideas and improvements within their sector. All activities related to the recommendations will be reviewed by the group in November 2019.
The group will report to the Strategic Board for Teacher Education and the Race Equality Action Plan Programme Board on the progress of the recommendations by November 2020.
It is likely that separate bespoke events and meetings will take place to support the sector to drive this work. Members are expected to make reasonable efforts to attend all formal meetings of the group and to participate in additional meetings where appropriate.
- Professor Rowena Arshad, University of Edinburgh (Chair)
- Ken Muir/Elaine Napier, General Teaching Council (Scotland)
- Maureen McKenna, Association of Directors of Education Scotland (ADES)
- Professor Morag Redford, Scottish Council of Deans of Education
- Louise Barrett, University of the West of Scotland (UWS)
- Debbie Walls, Convention of Scottish Local Authorities (COSLA)
- Lesley Whelan, Education Scotland
- Khadija Mohammad, Scottish Association of Minority Ethnic Educators (SAMEE)
- Hakim Din, Calabar Education Consultants, formerly HMIe
- Jatin Haria, Coalition of Racial Equality and Rights (CRER)
- Ken Edwards, Skills Development Scotland
- Mary Osei-Oppong, Educational Institute of Scotland (EIS)
- Fearghal Kelly, Scottish Government
- Siân Balfour, Scottish Government (Secretariat)
- Minutes of June 2020 meeting
- Minutes of February 2020 meeting
- Minutes of October 2019 meeting
- Minutes of June 2019 meeting
- Minutes of February 2019 meeting
- Minutes of April 2018 meeting
- Minutes of January 2018 meeting
- Minutes of November 2017 meeting
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback