Creating a Fairer Scotland : What Matters To You?
MAKING OUR GREAT COUNTRY EVEN BETTER
Scotland is a great country to call home. But we can make it an even better place. Achieving this will require a strong competitive economy and a fairer, more equal society. The two go hand in hand.
Right now people across Scotland are working to that end. But we believe that together we can do even more to secure better opportunities for all of us and for future generations.
To get there, more of us need to join the conversation that is already happening about the kind of Scotland we want to see in the future. We hope this leaflet, and the discussion that follows, will help to do that. It describes some of the successes and challenges in Scotland today and a few ideas about what a fairer Scotland could look like. We want you to share your ideas as well, to tell us what matters to you.
By the end of 2015 we want to have created opportunities for the widest possible range of voices to be heard. This will include a series of events in the autumn that brings together people from across the country to discuss what practical steps we need to take to create a fairer Scotland.
The Scottish Government will respond to these ideas, and the wider conversation, setting out what we will do to help create a better Scotland. We hope others will do the same.
So go on, it’s our Scotland, it’s time to have your say on our future.
WHERE WE ARE TODAY
Scotland is a great place to live and work, and there is much we can be optimistic about. But together we can make things even better.
WHERE WE’D LIKE TO BE IN 2030
By 2030 Scotland is a place where people are healthier, happier and treated with respect, and where opportunities, wealth and power are spread more equally.
- I feel part of a supportive community which offers a good quality of life for me and my family.
- Everyone can access the health and social services support they need to be safe, happy and healthy.
- Where you are born, where you live, or who you are doesn’t stop you having the opportunity to reach your full potential.
- There is good quality childcare available if and when I need it.
- Every child is loved by someone who can provide for their needs.
- I feel safe no matter where I live or where I go.
- I get a fair working wage which allows a decent standard of living.
- I know I can rely on a fair and simple social security system.
- I can get access to justice quickly and at reasonable cost.
- I am not charged a higher price for services, such as electricity, just because of my circumstances.
- There are plenty of local facilities and activities, which are looked after and provide things for me and my family to do.
- There is more affordable housing allowing me and my family to rent or own a decent and warm property.
WHAT MATTERS TO YOU
We want you to share your thoughts and ideas - here are a few questions to get you thinking:
- What are the issues that matter most to you?
- What do you think needs to be done to create a fairer Scotland?
- How can you and your community play a role in helping to shape our future?
Why not share your views at home, with your friends or at work.
Or you can join in the discussions online at:
Or write to us via email at: Fairer@scotland.gsi.gov.uk
Or post a letter to us using: FREEPOST FAIRER SCOTLAND
We are committed to ensuring as many people as possible can take part in this conversation. If you have ideas on how we can make the process more accessible for you, such as producing materials in a different format or language, please get in touch via one of the channels above.
Email: Caro Cowan