Freedom of information (FOI) requests
As a Scottish non-Ministerial body, Consumer Scotland complies with the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002, which is enforced by the Office of the Scottish Information Commissioner. This Act provides a right of access to information held by public bodies and requires Scottish public authorities to produce and maintain a publication scheme. Public bodies are under a legal obligation to:
- publish the classes of information that they make routinely available
- tell the public how to access the information and what it might cost
Consumer Scotland plans to adopt the Scottish Information Commissioner's Model Publication Scheme. This scheme:
- allows you to see what information is available (and what is not available) in relation to each class
- states what charges may be applied
- explains how to find the information easily
- provides contact details for enquiries and to get help with accessing the information
- explains how to request information that has not been published
How to request information
Requests for information under FOI should be made in a form which can be used for subsequent reference. This will usually be in writing and may be submitted within other correspondence, for example within a complaint letter or correspondence on a range of matters.
Please be specific about the information that you are looking for. It helps us to identify what you require and answer your request more promptly. For example:
- does a specific date or time period apply?
- are there any references you can give that will help us to identify the information - such as how did you find out about the topic or information you are seeking?
While you do not have to explain why you want the information, if you are happy to do this it may help us to answer your request more satisfactorily.
If the information requested contains information that is exempt under Scotland’s freedom of information laws (for example sensitive personal information), we will remove or redact the information and explain why.
Once we receive your request, we will acknowledge it and respond within 20 working days.
To submit a FOI request, please email CSSecretariat@gov.scot
We will not normally charge for responding, but if we consider your request likely to cost more than £600 we may refuse your request and advise on how your request can be modified to come under this threshold. We may also charge if you request hard copies of the information.
Freedom of information releases
Consumer Scotland is committed to publishing all information released in response to FOI requests.
The Scottish Information Commissioner oversees good practice around FOI and can act if they deem an organisation not to be fulfilling its duty correctly.
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback