- 6 May 2020
Items and actions
Items and actions
This note provides an overview of the discussion and key action points from the meeting of the Children Hearings System: Expert Reference Group (ERG).
The meeting took place in the Prince’s Trust Offices in Glasgow on 6 November 2019.
Welcome and actions from previous meeting
The group reviewed the actions from the last meeting. Terms of reference were agreed.
- Scottish Government will update the actions grid following this meeting
Expressions of interest - grant funding
A number of applications were received. Scottish Government has worked on the evaluation of applications and conclusions have been reached.
The group suggested that a template should be created for all organisations to use which will detail definitions and language about what is "unmet demand".
- Scottish Government will communicate the outcomes of the expressions of interest exercise as quickly as possible
Update provided on plans for the Legislation and Regulations sub-group meeting immediately following this ERG meeting. It would include consideration of oral and written feedback provided by members at and after the group discuss in September meeting.
- outputs from the Legislation and Regulations sub-group will be shared with the ERG
Communications and engagement
Communications and engagement strategy was discussed. Ideas were raised to further develop the detail, with timelines and strategic messaging.
Scottish Government gave an update that it had created a section on its website to publish the groups terms of reference and summary of work plans and actions arising from the meetings.
- Scottish Government will set up communications and engagement sub-group meeting soon
Representation to be made to Children 1st, Children’s Hearings Scotland, Scottish Children’s Reporter Administration, Scottish Legal Aid Board and other organisations to ask for children’s advocacy provision to be an agenda item for discussion within these organisations.
No matters were raised under this item.
Any other business
Discussion held regarding the roles and responsibilities of advocacy workers and other key professionals and people involved in the children’s hearings.
- tailored core messages for professionals working alongside advocacy workers, i.e. safeguarders, solicitors should be developed