Anti-Racism Interim Governance Group to Develop National Anti-Racism Infrastructure minutes: June 2023

Minutes from the meeting of the group on 28 June 2023.

Attendees and apologies

  • Moi Ali, author and expert on communications and marketing
  • Dr Addy Adelaine, International Social Worker and expert in action research and inclusive accountability
  • Tuoyo Ayiku, Head, Heart of Africa charity and manager, Heart in the Community CafĂ©
  • Ndaye-Lisa Badji, Head of Advocacy and Partnerships, Intercultural Youth Scotland
  • Jatin Haria, Executive Director, Coalition for Racial Equality and Rights
  • Professor Ima Jackson, Co-Chair, Professor of Community Engagement in Research, Social Policy and Infrastructure Development, Glasgow Caledonian University
  • Monica Lee-McPherson, Head, Scottish Highlands and Islands and Moray Chinese Association (SHIMCA)
  • Professor Nasar Meer, Professor of Race, Identity and Citizenship, University of Edinburgh
  • Dr Mark Wong, Senior Lecturer, Public Policy and Research Methods, Glasgow University 
  • Talat Yaqoob, Co-Chair, Independent Consultant and Social Researcher across equalities issues


  • Hana Bloedel, Youth Advocacy Lead, Intercultural Youth Scotland
  • Professor Kevin Fenton, Regional Director for London, Office for Health Improvement and Disparities (OHID) within the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC)
  • Micheal Matovu, Co-Founder of Radiant and Brighter
  • Kate Miguda, Professor Ima Jackson’s Mentee
  • Dr Gina Netto, Reader, International and Forced Migration, Heriot-Watt University
  • Hazel Peters, young person with anti-racist expertise and lived experience

Scottish Government

  • Zoe Rohde, Policy Manager, Strategic Team for Anti Racism 

Items and actions

Ministerial meeting and constitution of The Anti-Racism Observatory for Scotland (AROS) paper/process

Co-Chairs noted there is an upcoming meeting with the Minister to discuss AROS. Group members will be updated following the meeting. 

Review of accountability paper 

Co-Chairs highlighted group members will be asked to provide feedback to the accountability paper when it is shared.

A discussion followed regarding the AROS vision and mission paper, including the need to evidence impact/outcomes.

Review of Board election process

Board application processes were discussed. In order to ensure the process is transparent the group agreed an open process should be followed to recruit board members.

A job specification, timeline and application process for open recruitment will be created by the Co-Chairs for group members to feedback on.  

Short Life Working Group (SLWG) to move forward on wider board recruitment 

After the board recruitment paper is finalised, group members will be asked to note interest in participating in a SLWG on wider board recruitment.

Schedule of works over the summer towards the launch 

Co-Chairs noted there is a lot of work required to prepare for launch of AROS and asked for support from group members to develop next steps.

Co-Chairs noted a formal research report draft paper from the community researchers will be sent to group members to review. It was noted that this work has contributed to the development of the Vision and Mission document and the structure and method documents for AROS. These documents will be publicly shared once final amendments have been made and ratified by the Anti-Racism Interim Governance Group to Develop National Anti-Racism Infrastructure (AIGG).

SLWG to support the launch

Co-Chairs will seek input from group members regarding AROS launch planning.


  • AIGG members to provide feedback on the content of the accountability paper
  • Co-Chairs to revise vision/mission document and share with group members for feedback
  • Co-Chairs with support to develop board member job specification, timeline and application process and share with group members for feedback
  • Co-Chairs to send out the research report draft paper from the community researchers for group members to review
  • Co-Chairs to send out a request for input into AROS launch planning. Group members to express their interest to Co-Chairs directly



Back to top