Anti-Racism Interim Governance Group to Develop National Anti-Racism Infrastructure minutes: 9 August 2023

Minutes from the meeting of the group on 9 August 2023.

Attendees and apologies

  • Tuoyo Ayiku, Head, Heart of Africa charity and manager, Heart in the Community CafĂ©
  • Ndaye-Lisa Badji, Head of Advocacy and Partnerships, Intercultural Youth Scotland
  • Jatin Haria, Executive Director, Coalition for Racial Equality and Rights
  • Professor Ima Jackson, Co-Chair, Professor of Community Engagement in Research, Social Policy and Infrastructure Development, Glasgow Caledonian University
  • Monica Lee-McPherson, Head, Scottish Highlands and Islands and Moray Chinese Association (SHIMCA)
  • Micheal Matovu, Co-Founder of Radiant and Brighter
  • Kate Miguda, Professor Ima Jackson’s Mentee
  • Professor Nasar Meer, Professor of Race, Identity and Citizenship, University of Edinburgh
  • Dr Mark Wong, Senior Lecturer, Public Policy and Research Methods, Glasgow University 
  • Talat Yaqoob, Co-Chair, Independent Consultant and Social Researcher across equalities issues


  • Dr Addy Adelaine, International Social Worker and expert in action research and inclusive accountability
  • Moi Ali, author and expert on communications and marketing
  • Professor Kevin Fenton, Regional Director for London, Office for Health Improvement and Disparities (OHID) within the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC)
  • Dr Gina Netto, Reader, International and Forced Migration, Heriot-Watt University

Scottish Government

  • Jeff Macdonald, Secretariat
  • Frankie McLean, Team Lead, Strategic Team for Anti Racism

Items and actions

Review of accountability report and next steps

  • Co-Chairs noted group member feedback has been incorporated into the final accountability report. 
  • The accountability report will be shared with Scottish Government officials and the Minister for Equalities, Migration and Refugees early next week.

Community research report

  • The research report is completed and will be shared with group members to provide feedback to the community researchers prior to publication. 
  • Group members raised a query regarding an overspend for the community research work. Co-Chairs will discuss further with Scottish Government.
  • Co-Chairs noted their formal thanks to the community researchers for the work they have undertaken.

Next steps to operationalise the Anti-Racism Observatory for Scotland (AROS)

  • Co-Chairs provided an update regarding AROS modelling, noting discussions are ongoing.
  • The Anti-Racism Interim Governance Group to Develop National Anti-Racism Infrastructure (AIGG) discussed recent feedback received on some options. It was agreed that it would be helpful to look into procurement and ascertain what is feasible.
  • Co-chairs noted a feedback event could focus on learning, reflection and expectations of the AROS.


  • Co-Chairs will share the community research report with group members for feedback, prior to the research report being formally published
  • Co-Chairs to email Scottish Government officials regarding community research overspend
  • Co-Chairs to ask Scottish Government officials what specific information can be built into a procurement process
Back to top