Allied Health Professions Education and Workforce Policy Review: Workforce and Recruitment Subgroup minutes: June 2022

Minutes of the meeting on 9 June 2022.

Attendees and apologies

  • Kay Sandilands, NHS Lanarkshire
  • Anne Wallace, Scottish Government
  • Alison Moore, Scottish Government
  • Kim Lynch, Scottish Government 
  • Abby Campbell, Scottish Government
  • Lyndsay Turner, Scottish Government
  • Allie McMahon, Scottish Government
  • Alistair Reid, Healthcare Improvement Scotland (HIS)
  • Paul Williams, NHS Borders
  • Glenn Carter, Allied Health Professions Federation Scotland (AHPFS)
  • Kenryck Lloyd Jones, Allied Health Professions Federation Scotland (AHFS)
  • Duncan Condie, Scottish Funding Council
  • Christopher Arrowsmith, Scottish Funding Council


  • David Wylie, NHS Education for Scotland (NES)
  • Anita Simmers, Council of Deans of Health
  • Fiona Smith, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
  • Helen Gallagher, Glasgow Caledonian University

Items and actions

Welcome and action points from previous meeting

Virtual introductions were made for all those attending. It was noted that the minutes of the previous Workforce and Recruitment meeting held on 9 May 2022 were agreed and will be published.

Update on previously agreed action points:

  • members to let secretariat know if they are content to have their name and organisation on the website page - any objections to be sent to secretariat by 20 June 2022 - we will take nil returns as agreement
  • AHP Safety Huddle Template to be shared and Alistair Reid to send to secretariat for circulation – complete    
  • Scottish Government (SG) Officials and HIS to discuss data that is available to them – discussed later in meeting

Driver diagram 

The driver diagram has been reviewed and agreed by the group. It was noted that this may be updated in the future and members should ensure this is  shared with anyone/groups they are representing. 


It was noted that the Highlight Report of the previous meeting was agreed and members are happy with this approach. 

Feedback on data discussion

At the last meeting, it was agreed that SG colleagues working on data should meet with colleagues at HIS to discuss the data that is available.

The following was fed back to the group following this discussion:

  • there is a need to understand where the data is and recognise where the gaps are
  • SG Workforce colleagues already have a level of useful intelligence that might be helpful and forecasting for the future is also being considered

Action point:

  • SG Workforce to present on current data at next meeting on 11 July 2022

Presentation on student data from Scottish Funding Council (SFC)

Chris Arrowsmith and Duncan Condie SFC presented on AHP Student Data - the current data that is available, timings, possible changes that could be made and any restrictions in what can be shared.  

It was noted the response rate from students completing the HESA outcome survey two years after graduation is quite low and, therefore, only a more general picture can be built rather than having data year on year. 

Action points:

  • SG to share presentation from SFC on AHP Student Data by 24 June 2022
  • arrange a presentation on the HESA data futures pilot work ongoing around what is likely to be happening in terms of data in the future by 11 July 2022
  • Chris to put together a profile of how the data can be broken down - to include summary table that shows attrition and also trends by 11 July 2022
  • SG colleagues to discuss with NES whether there has been any discussions with HCPC about being able to track students following graduation, feedback on this will be provided at the next meeting on 11 July 2022

AHP workforce planning

The group discussed having workforce planning for health and social care AHPs concluded the following:

  • this is something that is wanted 
  • a national approach should be taken whilst considering local implications 
  • the aim would be to make the recommendation of a national plan and a timeline for this, rather than put one in place, within the timeframe for the review 

Action points:

  • members to reflect on the meeting and consider any gaps that have not already been covered by the next meeting on 11 July 2022
  • discussions from the meeting to be reflected in the driver diagram by the next meeting on 11 July 2022

Any other business

The next meeting has been scheduled for Monday 11 July 2022 from 2pm to 3.30pm. 

Back to top