Allied Health Professions Education and Workforce Policy Review: National Strategic Oversight Group minutes: June 2022
- Chief Nursing Officer Directorate
- Part of
- Health and social care
Minutes from the meeting of the group on 14 June 2022.
Attendees and apologies
- Carolyn McDonald, Scottish Government
- Anne Wallace, Scottish Government
- Alison Moore, Scottish Government
- Jess McPherson, Scottish Government
- Kim Lynch, Scottish Government
- Abby Campbell, Scottish Government
- Sean Torrens, Scottish Government
- Catherine Cassidy, Scottish Government
- Rebecca Wright, Scottish Government
- Lyndsay Turner, Scottish Government
- Nyla Shah, Scottish Government
- Joan Pollard, Scottish Directors of AHPs (SDAHP)
- Duncan Condie, Scottish Funding Council (SFC)
- Kay Sandilands, NHS Lanarkshire
- Jamie Hunt, The Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
- Alistair Reid, Healthcare Improvement Scotland (HIS)
- Alison Keir, Allied Health Professions Federation Scotland (AHPFS)
- Anita Simmers, Council of Deans of Health
- Valerie Blair, NHS Education for Scotland (NES)
- Sara Smith, Queen Margaret University
- David Wylie, NHS Education for Scotland (NES)
- Fiona Coutts, Academic Heads
- Karen Wilson, NHS Education for Scotland (NES)
- Helen Gallagher, Glasgow Caledonian University
Items and actions
Welcome and action points from previous meeting
Update on previously agreed action points:
- to agree that relevant papers to be sent as required to support key areas of focus – ongoing
- terms of reference (TOR) to be signed off virtually – updated and complete
- SBARs for subgroups to be shared when ready – in progress
- members to let secretariat know if they are content to have their name and organisation on the website page – no objections, closed
It was agreed that it would be helpful for a representative from Health and Social Care Partnership on the group.
- representative from Health and Social Care Partnership to be added to TOR once finalised with a deadline of the meeting on 4 August 2022
A summary from the following subgroups was presented to the group:
- workforce and recruitment meeting 2 held on 9 May 2022
- advancing practice meeting 1 held on 17 May 2022
- education solutions meeting 1 held on 31 May 2022
The linkages and crossovers between subgroups was highlighted as being critical.
Scottish Government (SG) officials advised that drivers continue to be developed for the oversight group and subgroups aligning discussions with members. Work has taken place to ensure representation across stakeholders is involved within all groups to ensure we work collaboratively across the allied health professions (AHP) education and workforce sectors.
Student representative focus groups have been carried out extending to include students on the occupational therapy support course at Glasgow College. Discussions have been themed and key points taken and a highlight report covering all focus groups will be shared once finalised.
Presentation on workforce strategy
Lyndsay Turner, team leader for the national workforce strategy implementation unit in SG, provided a presentation on workforce strategy.
It was noted that the AHP education and workforce policy review will be included in the published strategy implementation.
- presentation slides to be shared to group by 24 June 2022
There was discussion around how AHP careers need to be promoted in schools, by careers advisors and career tests and that an opportunity to work in more integrated way would be welcomed.
- the workforce and recruitment subgroup are to consider AHP career promotion at school level at next meeting on 11 July 2022
- NHS Education Scotland (NES) to present on their work stream as they have practice education leads doing work on this with AHP Advisors. NES to confirm presentation for next meeting on 4 August 2022
Wider discussion around the strategy and the review
It was agreed that it would be useful to hold sessions on lived experience with those working at advanced practice level and wider.
- SG to look at coordinating these sessions and have them set up by the next meeting on 4 August 2022
Any other business
The next meeting has been scheduled for Thursday 11 August from 2pm to 4pm.
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback