An Official Statistics Publication for Scotland.
Marine Scotland Science today published the Scottish Fish Farm Production Survey 2019. The publication details statistics on the employment and production from Scottish fish farms. It is structured to follow industry trends within the farmed Atlantic salmon, rainbow trout and other species sectors. Some statistics are given for the 21-year period 1999-2019.
The main findings are;
- In 2019, production of Atlantic salmon increased by 47,856 tonnes (30.7%) to 203,881 tonnes. This is the highest ever level of production recorded in Scotland
- The total number of smolts produced in 2019 increased by 4.3 million (9%) to 51.4 million, this is the highest annual smolt production recorded in Scotland
- Production tonnage of rainbow trout increased by 15% in 2019 to 7,405 tonnes
- Brown and sea trout production increased from 20 tonnes in 2018 to 25 tonnes in 2019
- The total number of staff employed in marine salmon production during 2019 increased by 185 to 1,651 staff
The survey is compiled from data collected directly from authorised fish farming businesses. The full statistical publication for 2019 can be accessed.
Official statistics are produced in accordance with the Code of Practice for Statistics.
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback