Languages Strategic Implementation Group
Role of the group
The Strategic Implementation Group (SIG) was set up in 2013 to lead the practical implementation of the 1+2 language learning policy, chiefly in schools.
The members of the group agreed an implementation plan in December 2016. This plan provides the members with strategic direction and focuses on four priorities:
- communication and engagement
- professional development
The members also agreed to a set of key messages about the 1+2 languages commitment.
- ES - Education Scotland - advice, support, resources, challenge, professional development.
- ADES - Association of Directors of Education Scotland - ensuring Scotland's local authorities are at the heart of thinking and practical steps to deliver change in schools.
Other members of the group:
- SCILT – Scotland's National Centre for Languages – advice, support, resources, professional development, promoting languages.
- COSLA – representing all local authorities.
- GTCS – General Teaching Council Scotland - promoting and regulating the teaching profession.
- Scottish Government – owners of the policy and source of funding.
- The National Parent Forum of Scotland – representing parents.
- Unions – represented by EIS.
- SCDE– Scottish Council of Deans of Education – represents the schools of teacher education in the universities
- SALT – Scottish Association of Language Teaching
- UCMLS – University Council of Modern Languages Scotland
- Heads of School – a representative
- ADES – Association of Directors of Education Scotland - representing Heads of Service
- SLS – School Leaders Scotland - representing secondary school heads
- AHDS – Association of Heads and Depute Heads Scotland - representing primary school heads
- LANGS – Languages Network Group Scotland
- CDN - College Development Network
SQA - Scottish Qualifications Authority
- Languages Strategic Implementation Group - Implementation Plan 1st year report
- Language learning in schools: strategic plan for implementation 2017-2021
- 1 + 2 Languages: a continuing policy
- Languages Strategic Implementation Group minutes: May 2018
- Languages Strategic Implementation Group minutes: January 2018
- Languages Strategic Implementation Group minutes: October 2017
- Languages Strategic Implementation Group minutes: August 2017
- Languages Strategic Implementation Group minutes: May 2017
- Languages Strategic Implementation Group minutes: February 2017
- Languages Strategic Implementation Group minutes: November 2016