Staff in our NHS should feel confident to raise concerns about patient safety or malpractice with their line manager, HR Department or trade union representative.
If, however, staff are unsure about whether or how to raise a concern, or worry about doing so, independent, confidential advice and support is available on Freephone number 0800 008 6112 and email facility firstname.lastname@example.org
The NHSScotland confidential alert line (formerly known as Whistleblowing Alert and Advice Services) is run by Protect, an independent whistleblowing charity. It provides a safe space where support and advice is provided by legally trained staff, and where appropriate, concerns can be passed to the appropriate body.
NHSScotland confidential alert line also provides:
- information on the numbers of cases referred to Healthcare Improvement Scotland
- a package of resources and training for staff and managers on the complex issues and support mechanisms surrounding whistleblowing
- dedicated advice on protections afforded to whistleblowers through the Public Interest Disclosure Act (PIDA) 1998
- we have annual data about the numbers and types of calls to the service
Reports on the service
As part of the contract PCaW has provided regular evaluation reports, which are available on this page.
Independent National Whistleblowing Officer
Report from the May 2018 engagement event, focussing on the key areas of the proposed role and remit of the Independent National Whistleblowing Officer.
- NHSScotland Confidential Alert Line: six month review Aug 2018-Jan 2019
- NHSScotland Confidential Alert Line: six month review Feb-July 2018
- NHSScotland confidential alert line: six month review Aug 2017-Jan 2018
- NHS Scotland whistleblowing and alert service: six month review - August 2017-January 2018
- NHSScotland Confidential Alert Line: six month review Feb 2017-July 2017
- NHSScotland Confidential Alert Line: six month review August 2016-January 2017
- NHSScotland confidential alert line: six month review Feb-July 2016
- NHSScotland Confidential Alert Line (NCAL) Six Month Review: 1 August 2015 - 31 January 2016
- NHSSscotland Confidential Alert Line six month review: 1 February 2015 - 31 July 2015
Evaluation of pilot
- Independent National (Whistleblowing) Officer: consultation analysis
- Independent national (Whistleblowing) officer (INO): consultation responses
- Consultation on proposals for the introduction of the role of an Independent National (Whistleblowing) Officer for NHSScotland Staff