Staff in our NHS should feel confident to raise concerns about patient safety or malpractice with their line manager, HR Department or trade union representative.
If, however, staff are unsure about whether or how to raise a concern, or worry about doing so, advice is available from an independent confidential advice and information service.
This advice and information line (previously provided by Protect) is delivered by the Scottish Public Services Ombudsmen (SPSO) who are the organisation that handles complaints about public services in Scotland.
The SPSO is independent of NHSScotland and the Scottish Government. The confidential advice and information line provides a safe space where advice is provided by trained staff, and will provide accurate, consistent advice that will include the route to raise concerns prior to implementation of the Independent National Whistleblowing Officer (INWO) from 1 April 2021.
Managers can also contact the confidential advice and information line for support handling whistleblowing concerns within an organisation, or preparing for / implementing the National Whistleblowing Standards.
You can contact them on: Freephone 0800 008 6112
or Email: INWO@spso.gov.scot
Reports on the service
Previous evaluation reports are available on this page.
Independent National Whistleblowing Officer
Report from the May 2018 engagement event, focussing on the key areas of the proposed role and remit of the Independent National Whistleblowing Officer.
- NHSScotland Confidential Alert Line: six month review Aug 2018-Jan 2019
- NHSScotland Confidential Alert Line: six month review Feb-July 2018
- NHSScotland confidential alert line: six month review Aug 2017-Jan 2018
- NHS Scotland whistleblowing and alert service: six month review - August 2017-January 2018
- NHSScotland Confidential Alert Line: six month review Feb 2017-July 2017
- NHSScotland Confidential Alert Line: six month review August 2016-January 2017
- NHSScotland confidential alert line: six month review Feb-July 2016
- NHSScotland Confidential Alert Line (NCAL) Six Month Review: 1 August 2015 - 31 January 2016
- NHSSscotland Confidential Alert Line six month review: 1 February 2015 - 31 July 2015
Evaluation of pilot
- Independent National (Whistleblowing) Officer: consultation analysis
- Independent national (Whistleblowing) officer (INO): consultation responses
- Consultation on proposals for the introduction of the role of an Independent National (Whistleblowing) Officer for NHSScotland Staff