The Office of the First Minister features the distinctive Georgian doorway of Bute House.
The category A-listed building sits on the north side of the grand square created in the late 18th century as part of James Craig’s First New Town plan unveiled in 1767. It would be more than two decades before neoclassical architect Robert Adam was commissioned in 1791 to design unified frontages for Charlotte Square.
In 1999, following devolution and the reconvening of the Scottish Parliament, Bute House became the official residence for the First Minister of Scotland. While the living quarters include a small office, the First Minister has two other larger working offices in Edinburgh , one at nearby St Andrew’s House on Regent Road, which is the main headquarter building for the Scottish Government, and the other in the Scottish Parliament at Holyrood.
Find out more about Bute House.