Stephen was appointed Director of Lifelong Learning and Skills in December 2022, alongside his job-share partner, Katherine Peskett.
The Director of Lifelong Learning and Skills is a:
- Chair of the Shared Outcomes Assurance Group
- Senior Responsible Owner of the National Strategy for Economic Transformation - Skilled Workforce Programme
- Race Equalities Champion
- Champion for Diverse Leaders Programme
His previous roles have included:
- Acting Co-Director of Justice
- Deputy Director for Trade and Investment Delivery
- Deputy Director for Building and Fire Safety Co-ordination, Grenfell Response
Stephen has been a civil servant for over 20 years, during which he has also worked as a national expert for the European Commission and for the UK Department of Trade and Industry.
Prior to this, he was a research scientist at Edinburgh University. He holds a PhD in Developmental Biology from the University of Edinburgh and also has a BSc in Development Biology.
Stephen grew up both in the UK and Sri Lanka. His mixed-race background has given him perspective on his own identity and how to support diversity.
Stephen is a former leader of the Scottish Government’s Race Equality Network and maintains a close working relationship with the group.
Married with two daughters, Stephen lives in Haddington.
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback