8. Section 4 - Disability Assistance for Older People (DAOP)
Entitlement to DAOP
As indicated, the intention is to safely and securely transfer this benefit to Scotland. It is our intention that new claims for Disability Assistance for Older People will continue to be available to those who are state pension age and over.
The current rules state that people receiving this form of assistance must have required frequent attention or supervision as outlined below for a period of 6 months. If they're terminally ill the 6 month period does not apply.
Question 60. Do you agree or disagree with our proposal that Disability Assistance for Older People is provided to those who are state pension age or older?
Question 61. If you disagreed, please could you explain why.
It is anticipated that eligibility rules for the benefit, and the components that make up the benefit, will remain similar to AA. Therefore the lower rate of care of assistance will be available to:
- anyone who requires frequent attention or supervision daily from another person in connection with bodily functions in order to avoid substantial danger or require prolonged or repeated attention or supervision nightly from another person to avoid substantial danger will be eligible to receive.
- anyone who requires attention or supervision during both day and night would be eligible to receive the higher rate of care.
In addition, anyone who requires regular renal dialysis treatment of two or more sessions a week at home and requires the attendance or supervision of another person will be eligible to receive the lower rate of assistance. If their requirements includes further attention or supervision during the night they will be entitled to receive the higher rate of assistance.
Question 62. Do you agree or disagree with the proposed eligibility criteria for Disability Assistance for Older People?
Question 63. If you disagreed, please could you explain why.
It is intended that a person would not qualify to receive assistance where they are:
- Already receiving an allocation of this benefit;
- Claiming the equivalent of this benefit elsewhere in the United Kingdom, which would be defined as England, Wales and Northern Ireland;
- In receipt of another form of Disability Assistance;
- Under state pension age;
- Subject to immigration control.
Question 64. If you have any further comments you would like to make relating to Disability Assistance benefits not covered by this consultation document, please provide them below.