Renewables and Energy Programme
Renewable Energy and Environmental Advice Group
Fish and Fisheries Advisor
Marine Scotland Science, Marine Laboratory, 375 Victoria Road, Aberdeen, AB11 9DB, UK
Details of specialism
My research interests involve fish ecology, commercial fisheries, offshore renewable energy and marine spatial planning (MSP). I currently provide advice on the impacts of offshore renewable energy developments and other marine developments on fish and commercial fisheries.
I chair the Fish and Fisheries Scottish Marine Energy Research (ScotMER) Specialist Receptor Group and focus my research on addressing key knowledge gaps.
Within the broad topic area my particular focuses currently include:
- the impacts of offshore renewable energy developments on fish and commercial fisheries
- interactions between commercial fishing and offshore wind (both fixed and floating) including mapping fishing effort, fisheries coexistence, fisheries displacement, co-location/multi-use and fisheries stakeholder engagement
- impacts of offshore renewables on fish ecology including fish habitat, fish sensitivity mapping, reef effects, fish aggregation, underwater noise, EMF and collision risk
Main policy links
- fish and fisheries advice
- offshore renewable energy
- marine renewables licencing
- marine planning (science advice)
External committees and responsibilities
- chair of the Scottish marine energy research (ScotMER) fish and fisheries specialist receptor group
- member of the ICES working group on offshore wind development and fisheries
- member of Scottish commercial fisheries working groups and the fishing liaison with offshore wind and wet renewables group (FLOWW)
- project partner and energy work package leader of the EU INTERREG North Sea Region programme funded project a ‘North Sea perspective on shipping, energy and environmental aspects in maritime spatial planning’ (NorthSEE)
Papers of relevance
Wright K, Ripken M, Kafas A, Plug D, Ooms E and Scheffler U et al. (2019) Interim status quo report on offshore linear energy infrastructure in the North Sea Region, NorthSEE project, INTERREG North Sea Region Programme, Grant agreement 38-2- 2-15.
Kafas A, Ripken M, Wright K, Billet M, Sangiuliano S, Ooms E and Scheffler U et al. (2017) Status quo report on offshore energy planning provisions in the North Sea Region, NorthSEE project, INTERREG North Sea Region Programme, Grant agreement 38-2-2-15.
Scott BE, Irvine KN, Byg A, Gubbins M, Kafas A, Kenter J, MacDonald A, O’Hara Murray R, Potts T, Slater AM, Tweddle JF, Wright K and Davies IM (2016) The Cooperative Participatory Evaluation of Renewable Technologies on Ecosystem Services (CORPORATES). Scottish Marine and Freshwater Science 7, No 1. 84pp.
Marine Scotland Science
PO Box 101
375 Victoria Road
+44 (0)131 244 2500
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback