Dr Neil Campbell
Telephone: +44 (0)131 244 2902
Address: Marine Scotland Marine Laboratory, 375 Victoria Road, Aberdeen, AB11 9DB
My current research focus is on development and application of CCTV systems in fisheries data collection. I have a wide range of other interests, including pelagic and deep sea fisheries, discard reduction measures, fish community structure, the science-policy interface and fishery management paradigms.
As the former scientific coordinator for the Northwest Atlantic Fisheries Organisation, I have built up a network of collaborators and colleagues working on transboundary fisheries issues across the globe. Closer to home, I enjoy a close working relationship with staff in UK universities, through the MASTS consortium, contract research fund projects, and co-supervision of students.
External Committees and Responsibilities
I am the former chair of the FAO Fisheries Information Resource Management System programme, which aims to disseminate information on the sustainability of global fish stocks and fisheries in a consistent manner across nations and regions.
Five Most Recent Publications
- Campbell, Neil; Neat, Francis; Burns, Finlay; Kunzlik, Phil. 2010. Species richness, taxonomic diversity, and taxonomic distinctness of the deep-water demersal fish community on the Northeast Atlantic continental slope (ICES Subdivision VIa). ICES Journal of Marine Science. 68(2): 365-376.
- Holmes, SJ; Bailey, N; Campbell, N; Catarino, R; Barratt, K; Gibb, A; Fernandes, PG. 2011. Using fishery-dependent data to inform the development and operation of a co-management initiative to reduce cod mortality and cut discards. ICES Journal of Marine Science. 68(8):1679-1688.
- Neat, FC; Campbell, N; 2012. Proliferation of elongate fishes in the deep sea. Journal of fish biology. 83(6):1576-1591.
- Campbell, Neil. 2016. Vulnerable Marine Ecosystems: Processes and Practices in the High seas - The Northwest Atlantic. FAO Fisheries and Aquaculture Technical Paper 595:31 – 53.
- Kenny, Andrew J.; Campbell, Neil; Koen-Alonso, Mariano; Pepin, Pierre; Diz, Daniela. 2017. Delivering sustainable fisheries through adoption of a risk-based framework as part of an ecosystem approach to fisheries management. Marine Policy. (in press)
0300 244 4000