Coronavirus (COVID-19): social care worker death in service payment

Information on the social care worker death in service benefit, including who can apply and how to apply.

This document is part of 2 collections

Appeals procedure

Claims for the NHS Scotland and Social Care Coronavirus Life Assurance Scheme 2020 should be submitted by the employer of eligible dependents of a social care worker who has died in service.

All decisions made regarding the claim by the Scottish Government will be fully explained in writing.  If you are unhappy with the initial decision your employer will be able to explain this to you in full.

How to appeal

If you are still dissatisfied with the initial explanation on your claim to the NHS Scotland and Social Care Coronavirus Life Assurance Scheme 2020, you may appeal the decision which will be reviewed by an internal panel set up by Scottish Ministers.

Please complete the appeals template (under supporting documents)  and submit within 60 calendar days of receiving your initial decision regarding payment, to the following mailbox:  

We aim to acknowledge all submissions within 5 working days and carry out a full review within 20 working days.

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of the appeal: investigation

  • email
  • write to Scottish Government, Complaints, 1E.10, St Andrew's House, Edinburgh, EH1 3DG

An Investigating Officer will be appointed to prepare a comprehensive report and, if we have got things wrong, will recommend improvements.

We will:

  • acknowledge receipt of your complaint within three working days
  • where appropriate, discuss the complaint with you to understand why you remain dissatisfied and what outcome you are looking for
  • give you a full response as soon as possible and within 20 working days.

We will tell you if our investigation will take longer and will agree revised time limits with you. After we have fully investigated and you remain dissatisfied, you then have the option of asking the Scottish Public Service Ombudsman (SPSO) to investigate your complaint.

Independent investigation of your complaint: ombudsman

The Scottish Public Services Ombudsman (SPSO) is the final stage for complaints about public services in Scotland and may be able to independently take up a complaint on your behalf. The Ombudsman will normally only be able to act if you have followed the steps above.

To find out about the Ombudsman's work, visit the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman website, or write to the office at Freepost SPSO (this is all you need write on the envelope, and you do not need to use a stamp).



Back to top