Advance Payment Scheme - supporting documents: guidance

Guidance for people applying to the Advance Payment Scheme about how to obtain ‘a supporting document’ – some kind of ‘record’ which shows you spent time in care in Scotland as a child.

National Records of Scotland

National Records of Scotland (NRS) holds the Scottish national archives. Its holdings include high level policy and strategic information produced by Government about the direction of the care service across the whole country, but not individual care records. NRS also has custody of historical inspection reports about schools and children’s homes, court records. NRS does not actively seek to collect records of former care organisations, though it does hold a small number of such collections. Where records contain personal information, lifespan closures have been applied for data protection reasons. Requests for access to your information in closed records must usually be made directly to the records creator, as follows:

Inspection reports – for further information about records of inspections of schools and children’s homes see the Scottish Government section.

Court records – for information about how to access court records see the Scottish Courts and Tribunal Services section.

Prison and Borstal records – for information about how to access prison records see the Scottish Prison Service section

Care recordsNRS holds a small number of private care records, which may be of help to some applicants, as there may be admission and discharge registers. These include:

  • Records of the Royal Scottish Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Children (RSSPCC) now known as Children 1st (NRS collection reference GD409)
  • Dean and Cauvin Young People's Trust, Edinburgh (NRS collection reference GD417)
  • Dr Guthrie's Schools, Edinburgh (NRS collection reference GD425)

Contact information for Children 1st and Dean and Cauvin Young People's Trust is provided elsewhere in this guide. For information on access arrangements to the records of Dr Guthrie's Schools contact the NRS Data Protection Officer.

Mental Welfare CommissionNRS also holds the records of the Mental Welfare Commission for Scotland (NRS collection reference MC), which include admission registers and patient case files. For information about accessing these records you should contact the NRS Historical Search Room:

Further information and contact details - You can find out more information about the records NRS holds by visiting the NRS website and by searching their online catalogue here

For further guidance on the records held by NRS and access arrangements please contact their Data Protection Officer:

Address: Data Protection Officer, National Records of Scotland, HM General Register House, 2 Princes Street, Edinburgh, EH1 3YY


Phone: 0131 535 1314



Back to top