Getting It Right For Every Child (GIRFEC) Practice Development Panel
Role of the group
The Panel will be responsible for producing a draft Code of Practice for information sharing, by consensus.
This will be presented to the Deputy First Minister in Autumn 2018, who will then forward an authoritative draft of the code to the Education and Skills Committee enabling them to resume Stage 1 of the Children and Young People (Information Sharing) (Scotland) Bill.
The Panel will ensure that a version of the draft Code offered to Committee is also suitable to operate on a non-statutory basis in relation to information sharing by practitioners under the current law, ahead of the commencement of Parts 4 and 5 of the Children and Young People (Scotland) Act 2014.
The Panel is also invited to provide recommendations in Autumn 2018 on the Statutory Guidance for Part 4 and 5 and other support materials ahead of the resumption of Stage 1 of the Bill.
The Panel's objectives are to:
- ensure the draft Code of Practice and Statutory Guidance supported by other materials properly reflect relevant legal requirements, are workable, comprehensive and user-friendly for children and young people, parents and practitioners
- make sure that the information sharing experience, expertise and practical knowledge of those in public services and rights holders (i.e. children and their families) are the foundation for the development of the authoritative draft Code of Practice, Statutory Guidance and other supporting materials
The Panel will be independently chaired by Ian Welsh, OBE and Chief Executive of the Scottish Health and Social Care Alliance.
The Independent Chair will report on behalf of the Panel to the Deputy First Minister.
GIRFEC Legal Focus Group has been established to provide legal insight into GIRFEC Practice Development Panel's work.
- Ian Welsh, Chair
- Professor Paul Martin, Independent Chair for Child and Adult Protection Committee's Scotland
- Mike Burns, Social Work Scotland
- Brian Johnston, Police Scotland (replaced Norman Conway on 31/05/18)
- Maureen Falconer, Information Commissioner's Office
- Sally-Ann Kelly, Coalition of Care and Support Providers in Scotland
- Anne Houston, Child Protection Committees Scotland
- Susan Quinn, Educational Institute of Scotland
- Jennifer King, Association of Directors of Education Scotland
- Annette Holliday, Unite/Community Practitioners and Health Visiting Association
- Eddie Docherty, Scottish Executive Nursing Directors
- Joanna Murphy, National Parent Forum Scotland
- Norma Shippin, Central Legal Office, NHS National Services Scotland)
- Peter Hessett, Society of Local Authority Lawyers and Administrators in Scotland
- Lorna Greene, Royal College of Nursing
- Chris Creegan, Scottish Commission for Learning Disability
- Juliet Harris, Together Scotland
Non-members may be invited to Panel meetings based on necessity and relevant topics of discussion. For example: legal, advisory, policy colleagues.
Format of meetings and work plans will be decided by the Chair but with the influence of the Panel members.
The Chair has anticipated a minimum of five meetings which will be held in the Alliance office, Glasgow.
The Chair will decide on agendas and format of meetings with influence from the Panel.
Topics will be generated from discussion and actions from previous meetings and will be steered by the Chair.
- organise the logistics and facilitation of each meeting
- informing members of arrangements (date, time, location etc.)
- circulate papers and briefing members 1 week ahead of meetings
- recording and publication of actions and main discussion points
- supporting the Chair when required
- point of contact for members if required
- providing support to facilitate engagement with stakeholders
- providing support to the Panel in preparing reports and other materials as required
- GIRFEC Practice Development Panel update: October 2018
- GIRFEC Practice Development Panel letters: January 2019
- GIRFEC Practice Development Panel letters: July 2018
- GIRFEC Practice Development Panel: minutes December 2018
- GIRFEC Practice Development Panel: minutes October 2018
- GIRFEC Practice Development Panel: minutes July 2018
- GIRFEC Practice Development Panel: minutes June 2018
- GIRFEC Practice Development Panel minutes: May 2018
- GIRFEC Practice Development Panel: minutes April 2018
- GIRFEC Practice Development Panel: minutes March 2018
- GIRFEC Practice Development Panel: minutes February 2018