This report sets out a ten-year timeframe to allow for short term impact as well as more ambitious, strategic improvements that will deliver a better public service for the people of Scotland.
• Putting the user at the centre including creating a consumer panel
• Maintaining the current scope of the legal aid fund but simplifying the process
• Investing in service improvement, innovation and technology
• Developing a new system for setting fees paid to solicitors conducting legal aid work
• Establishing a new arm’s length body responsible for delivery of publicly-funded legal assistance and increasing public awareness of its availability
A formal Scottish Government response to the report will be published in due course.