The Scottish Government has used the Anholt Ipsos Nation Brands Index (NBI) to assess and monitor Scotland’s reputation around the world since 2008. Within the National Performance Framework (NPF), data from the NBI is used for the ‘Scotland’s reputation’ national indicator which, in turn, measures progress on the ‘International’ national outcome: “We are open, connected and make a positive contribution internationally”.
The Anholt Ipsos Nation Brands Index (NBI)
The Anholt Ipsos Nation Brands Index (NBI)(formerly the Anholt-GfK Roper Nation Brands IndexSM) is a global nation brand survey. The NBI examines the images of around 50 nations each year, by conducting online interviews with 20,000 adults aged 18 and over, in 20 core panel countries. The NBI looks at each nation’s reputation along six dimensions of national competence: Exports, Governance, Culture, People, Tourism, Immigration and Investment. Together these provide an overall indication of a nation’s reputation.
While being the best available measure of Scotland’s reputation for the purpose of the NPF, the NBISM does not provide an evaluation of the Scottish Government’s policies. NBISM data should be viewed as a snapshot of people’s attitudes and perceptions of Scotland which are useful in helping us to understand more about Scotland’s international reputation. Over a number of years, these snapshots can track Scotland’s reputation in the longer-term. Data can also be used to compare Scotland’s reputation with that of other countries, and to monitor how Scotland sees itself.
The Scottish Government subscribed to the NBI in 2008 (collecting baseline data reported in the NPF) and 2009, and has subscribed on a biannual basis since 2010.
- Anholt-GfK Roper Nation Brands IndexSM: 2018 report for Scotland
- Anholt-GfK Roper Nation Brands IndexSM: 2016 report for Scotland
- The Anholt - GfK Roper Nation Brands Index(SM): 2014 Report for Scotland
- The Anholt - GFK Roper Nation Brands Index(SM): 2012 Report for Scotland
- The Anholt GFK-Roper's Nation Brands Index: Summary Report for Scotland 2010
- The Anholt GFK-Roper's Nation Brands Index: Summary Report for Scotland 2009