Supporting displaced people from Ukraine

Information on visa schemes, travel, healthcare, housing, employment and education for displaced people from Ukraine.


Local authority and housing allocation

Local authority resettlement teams are in place in all 32 council areas. Once matched to a specific local authority and home, individuals and families will receive support to integrate into the local area and community.

The first step is for an initial discussion to take place between the individual/family and the local authority and partners to identify immediate and long term needs. The local authority case worker will then ensure links are made to the relevant services to enable access e.g. GP, dental, school, benefits advice, employment. Local partnerships are in place to support this.

We have published guidance for local authorities that are supporting displaced people arriving from Ukraine.

Being a host

If you have, or are planning to offer accommodation via the Ukraine Super Sponsor scheme, you can read more at: guidance for hosts.

Claiming the £350 a month payment under the Homes for Ukraine scheme

A £350 ’thank you’ payment can be claimed by the sponsor hosting a displaced person for up to the first 12 months of sponsorship. The payment is limited to one monthly payment per residential address and payments will stop when the sponsorship ends.

It will be issued direct by the sponsor’s council, is tax free and will not affect the sponsor’s entitlement to benefits or their council tax status – this includes single person discount and council tax reductions.

Council tax payments

Legislation has been amended to ensure that council tax payers who provide accommodation to people displaced from Ukraine through the Homes for Ukraine scheme do not lose out on any entitlements they have to council tax reduction and single person discount.

People displaced from Ukraine who are placed in self-contained accommodation (such as a previously empty second home) will not have any liability to council tax.

This will also apply if they move in to live in a property which is already exempt for council tax, for example because it is the sole or main residence of a person who is a student.

Mortgages and rented accommodation

Homeowners wishing to offer accommodation to people displaced from Ukraine should contact their mortgage lender for advice.

Tenants of rented accommodation should check their tenancy agreement and get permission of their landlord.

Home insurance

Insurers have agreed that homeowners offering accommodation to people displaced from Ukraine do not need to contact their home insurance provider as they are considered non-paying guests.

More information is available from the Association of British Insurers.

Landlords and tenants of rented accommodation should contact their insurer.

Breakdowns in family or sponsor relationships

It is important that people who have been displaced by the conflict in Ukraine get the support that they need regardless of how they arrived in Scotland.

There may be cases where the sponsor or family relationship breaks down and a person is at risk of homelessness, which would trigger the Council’s standard homelessness duties. 

The Scottish Government is seeking clarification from the UK Government as to whether in such a scenario it would be possible to adjust the visa to name the Scottish Government as the sponsor to enable displaced people to be re-homed through the super sponsor route.



Related content

Back to top