Scottish City Region and Growth Deal Delivery Board minutes: February 2023
- Economic Development Directorate
- Part of
Minutes from the meeting of the group on 23 February 2023.
Attendees and apologies
- Karen McAvenue - Chair, KM, Scottish Government Regional Economic Development Deputy Director
- Kris Krasnowski - Chair, KK, Scotland Office, Deputy Director, Policy
- Maria Christie, MC, Scottish Government Finance Business Partner
- Elma Durdevic, ED, HM Treasury, Senior Policy Adviser
- Lizzie Davies, LD, Team Leader, City and Growth Deals Team, SO
- Brennan Leslie, BL, Policy Advisor, City and Growth Deals Team, SO
- Fahad Sarwar, FS, Head of Strategy, Policy and Engagement, HMT
- Tia Matthews, TM, Team Leader, DA Deals Team, DLUHC
- Akwasi Mensah, AM, Senior Policy Advisor, DA Deals Team, DLUHC
- Kate Bryson, KB, Deals Policy Manager/Head of Regional Economic Development - East of Scotland
- Kimberley Daly, , KD, Head of Highlands, Islands and South of Scotland
- Rachel Phillips, , RP, West Team/Unit Head - Regional Economic Policy
- Kate Gwynn, KG, Team Leader, Highlands and Islands Economy
- Kenneth Robertson, KR, Senior Policy Adviser, East of Scotland
- Anne Ashton, AA, Team Leader, South of Scotland Economy
- Peter McGregor, PMG, RED Programme Manager, SG
FS, TM, AM and RP attended remotely.
Items and actions
Welcome, introduction and apologies
KM welcomed everyone to the meeting.
Apologies were received from Johanna Howarth.
The Board confirmed the minutes of 1 November 2022 are an accurate record of what was discussed. There were no matters arising.
Finance business partner update
An update on finance was provided.
Updates to the action tracker were approved.
Updates to the Risk Register were approved.
Risks 32, 33 and 34 have been added and no risks will be escalated.
Deal project extension paper
The board discussed issues and risks associated with projects extending beyond the timeframe of the deal and options to manage this.
Deals spotlight and performance dashboard
Deal Leads updated the board on the following deals:
- Falkirk Growth Deal
- Argyll and Bute Growth Deal
- Borderlands Inclusive Growth Deal
- Inverness and Highland City Region Deal
Other deals were discussed, by exception, based on the Performance Dashboard.
Closed board session
Any other business
KM shared with the board that MC will be moving to a new role in the Scottish Government from April 2023. Michael Walker, Senior Finance Business Partner, will take over Deal programme responsibility until a new appointment is in post.
KM expressed her thanks to MC for her work in supporting the board, and Deals in general, over many years.
KM also shared that Rachel Phillips is moving to another role within SG as Head of the Regional Policy Unit and will not be attending future boards. Responsibility for West of Scotland Deals, Glasgow and Ayrshire, will transfer from 6 March to KB.
Date of next meeting and close
UK Government will provide the secretariat for the next two meetings.
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback