Publication - Minutes

Research Data Scotland (RDS) Transition Board minutes: 17 February 2021

Published: 8 Mar 2021
Directorate:
Digital Directorate
Part of:
Economy, Public sector
Date of meeting: 17 Feb 2021

Minutes of the Research Data Scotland (RDS) Transition Board held on 17 February 2021.

Published:
8 Mar 2021
Research Data Scotland (RDS) Transition Board minutes: 17 February 2021

Attendees and apologies

Attending:

  • Alessia Morris - Chair
  • Neil Rawlins
  • Louise Cullum
  • Christopher Murray
  • Robin Fallas
  • Mark McLintock
  • Nora Kellock
  • Lorna McCall
  • Carole Morris
  • Ainsley MacLaren

Apologies:

  • John Thompson
  • Nicola Kerr 
     

Items and actions

Summary of actions arising

  • seek confirmation from NRS that Articles of Association are satisfactory for NRS - AM/RF/JT
  • PHS to seek Legal counsel opinion that Articles of Association are satisfactory for PHS - LMcC/RF
  • MacRoberts to undertake minor re-drafting to take into account partners comments - RF
  • MacRoberts to supply a schematic of Trustee/Director relationship - RF
  • progress RDS registration with OSCR after formal corporate approval of membership by PHS and UoE - AM/LMcC/NK/RF
  • SG to confirm in discussion with partners if increased costs to researchers due to the application of VAT is to be absorbed, and if not, at what point in time would this be applied - AM/CM/MM
  • eDRIS/PHS to investigate how many researchers currently pay/are exempt from paying VAT and breakdown of researchers types (academia, industry etc.) and adjust OBC to reflect this - CM/MM
  • UoE to gather comments from Pinsent Mason’s on the Trustee situational conflicts point raised and send onto MacRoberts - NK/RF
  • Doodle Poll to be circulated for a meeting date in a month’s time - NR

Meeting minutes 

A progress report on the RDS project was provided

Update on draft Articles of Association

Addition of line to satisfy UoE to be added.

PHS to get counsel opinion on the Articles of Association for the PHS Board.

Actions:

  • seek confirmation from NRS that Articles of Association are satisfactory for NRS
  • PHS to seek Legal counsel opinion that Articles of Association are satisfactory for PHS
  • MacRoberts to undertake minor re-drafting to take into account partners comments

Update on application to OSCR was received

Final approvals to be sought from PHS and UoE.

Actions:

  • MacRoberts to supply a schematic of Trustee/Director/Partner relationship
  • it was agreed to progress RDS registration with OSCR only after formal corporate approval of membership by PHS and UoE

Update on funding and finance: VAT

Snsitivity tests undertaken within the OBC to cover any future withdrawal of grant funding

RDS will be VAT registered as there is a contract between suppliers and RDS and VAT is applicable at this juncture

VAT is applicable to all transactions with researchers, however, not all researchers eg PhD students, are VAT registered so they will not be able to recover VAT. VAT registered researchers, such as industry and private sector who currently use service through eDRIS may be able to recover the costs of VAT

Actions: 

  • SG to confirm in discussion with partners if increased costs to researchers due to the application of VAT is to be absorbed, and if not, at what point in time would this be applied
  • eDRIS/PHS to investigate how many researchers currently pay/are exempt from paying VAT and breakdown of researchers types (academia, industry etc.) and adjust OBC to reflect this
  • UoE to gather comments from Pinsent Mason’s on the Trustee situational conflicts point raised and send onto MacRoberts                                                       

AOCB

Action:

  • Doodle Poll to be circulated for a meeting date in a month’s time