Publication - Minutes

Research Data Scotland (RDS) Transition Board minutes: 11 August 2020

Published: 6 Nov 2020
Directorate:
Digital Directorate
Part of:
Public sector, Research
Date of meeting: 11 Aug 2020
Date of next meeting: 29 Sep 2020

Minutes of the Research Data Scotland (RDS) Transition Board held on 11 August 2020.

Published:
6 Nov 2020
Research Data Scotland (RDS) Transition Board minutes: 11 August 2020

Attendees and apologies

  • Roger Halliday – Chair (RH)
  • Nicola Kerr (NK)
  • Carole Morris (CM)
  • Mark Parsons (MP)
  • Chris Dibben (CD)
  • Jill Pell (JP)
  • Alan Ferrier (AF)
  • Alessia Morris (AM)
  • Angela Daly (AD)
  • Corri Black (CB)
  • Albert King (AK)
  • Claire Wainwright (CW)
  • Neil Rawlins – minute taker (NR)

Items and actions

Summary of actions arising

Action

Assigned

1. Update on RDS/RSH Task and Finish Group at next meeting

NK

2. Revise the integrated delivery plan, particularly the dates for the FBC

NR

3. The Legal Working Group will need to know by the end of September which organisations wish to become RDS partners.

AM / ALL

4. Legal Critical Path to be created

NR

5. Reputational risk regarding RDS delivery should be added to the Risk Register

NR

6. Create a timeline/route map for IG solutions for RDS

AM

7. Discovery Report to be circulated by correspondence before next Board meeting.

 

NR

8. Clearer plan for funding to be developed

RH

 

1. Welcome and introductions

2. Confirmation of Boards’ remit

CM asks whether Phil Couser should be a member of the Board. It was noted that Chris Dibben had not been added to the Board’s membership and that this should be rectified.

3. Progress report

  • Highlights Report – Paper
  • Key Risks and Issues – Paper
  • Updated Integrated Delivery Plan - Paper
  • Communications and Engagement - Paper
  • Discovery report update – Paper

AM talked through the papers, particularly the Comms paper. NK noted that a joint RDS / Regional Safe Havens (RSH) Task and Finish Group had been set and had met regularly since. A meeting was held earlier that morning and the RSHs were keen to join and partner with RDS.

Action Point One: Update on RDS/RSH Task and Finish Group at next meeting.

RH invited comments on the papers.

MP asked about timelines.

Action Point Two: Revise the integrated delivery plan, particularly the dates for the FBC

Action Point Three: The Legal Working Group is meeting in early September and will need to know by the end of September which organisations wish to become RDS partners.

MP noted that the UoE is aiming for approval on 27 November 2020.

Action Point Four: Legal Critical Path to be created

CD noted that there had been a great deal of progress, but the Board should not lose sight of reputational risk and credibility if RDS does not deliver rapidly.

Action Point Five: This specific risk about early deliverables and demonstrator projects should be added to the Risk Register.

Action Point Six: Create a timeline for IG roadmap.

AM noted that the Discovery Report highlights captured the pain points, but is now merely for noting,  the full version will be circulated before the next meeting.

Action Point Seven: Discovery Report to be circulated by correspondence before next Board meeting.

CM noted that she was looking forward to seeing the full report, particularly if it could improve the technical side, for example the National Safe Haven.

4. RDS Business Case (OBC) – Paper (Executive Summary), Paper (draft report to follow)

CW joined the meeting and gave a brief overview of the OBC and asked for comments and questions via correspondence. RH asked if there are any initial reactions. MP notes EPCC have concerns they have not been given time to contribute to the OBC to cover resourcing and costs and would it be possible to meet before the first week of September with CW as MP is away in the first week of September. RH suggests a bilateral conversation for EPCC to contribute to the OBC. AK noteed the OBC could align with other programmes such as Finance. MP suggested that he had a conversation with AK before meeting AW.

5. Joint working and planning across other programmes

  • ADR – oral update

RH asked what recommendations, risks, equalities etc. need to be thought about during the design phrase – flexibility, SILC, why RDS happened. CD noted that with regard to planning across other programmes, the Geospatial data may prove useful. CD, RH and AK to link up outside the meeting.

ADR update. Some IG issues had been addressed, however Covid has slowed down the data ingest. The ingest of the Education data will serve as an early adopter project and will provide the blueprint for future data acquisitions and ingests.

6. Next steps

RH notes funding routes are being explored, with the OBC being at the heart of this. RH has conversations in train with SG, HDR, Covid Programme, UKRI contacts.

Action Point Eight: Clearer plan for funding to be developed.

7. Date of next meeting and close

29 September 14.00 – 15.30