3. The UK Shape of Training Steering Group (UKSTSG)
3.1 UK Ministers received and considered the Shape of Training Report in November 2013. Although the Report was accepted in principle it was recognised to be a broad framework for change that was open to interpretation. It also did not consider or describe the practical implications of implementation. In response Ministers convened the UK Shape of Training Steering Group ( UKSTSG) to consider the report and to provide policy advice. Implementation groups were also convened in the devolved administrations. In England, the Department of Health mandated Health Education England ( HEE) to lead this work.
3.2 The Terms of Reference for the UKSTSG (see annex 2) stated that the purpose of the Group was to oversee implementation activities arising from the Shape of Training Review (Greenaway D. , 2013) on the future structure of UK Medical Training, providing advice and recommendations to UK Ministers as necessary.
3.3 The UKSTSG was required to maintain a UK consensus on medical training while recognising that strategic objectives differ across the UK. The Group was also required to develop a policy and structure to guide implementation of the recommendations within the report, to provide oversight, coordination & direction to any Policy for implementation, to identify work to be undertaken to deliver any agreed policy and commission relevant bodies to take these forward where appropriate.
Membership of the UKSTSG
Professor Ian Finlay, Senior Medical Officer, Scottish Government, administratively supported by the Scottish Government's Health Workforce Directorate and the GMC, chaired the Group. The Membership included representatives from the following stakeholders:
- The 4 UK Departments of Heath
- Health Education England ( HEE)
- NHS Education for Scotland ( NES)
- Wales Deanery
- Northern Ireland Medical and Dental Training Agency ( NIMDT)
- The Academy of Medical Royal Colleges ( AOMRC)
- The Academy of Medical Royal Colleges Trainee group
- The British Medical Association UK ( BMA UK)
- The General Medical Council ( GMC)
- The Medical Schools Council ( MSC)
- Chair of the UK Conference of Postgraduate Medical Deans ( COPMeD)
- NHS Employers (England)
- Patient Forum
The members of the UKSTSG are listed in appendix 2.
Email: Dave McLeod, Dave.McLeod@gov.scot
Phone: 0300 244 4000 – Central Enquiry Unit
The Scottish Government
St Andrew's House
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback