Publication - Minutes

Rape and Sexual Assault‎ Victims Services Taskforce minutes: February 2019

Published: 15 May 2019
Date of meeting: 26 Feb 2019
Location: St Andrews House, Regent Road, Edinburgh

Minutes of the ninth meeting of the Rape and Sexual Assault‎ Victims Services Taskforce, held on 26 February 2019.

Published:
15 May 2019
Rape and Sexual Assault‎ Victims Services Taskforce minutes: February 2019

Attendees and apologies

  • Chair – Dr Catherine Calderwood (Chief Medical Officer for Scotland)
  • Tansy Main (CMO Taskforce Unit Lead, SG)
  • Greig Walker (FMS Bill - Team Leader, SG)
  • Sybil Canavan (Chair of Workforce and Training Subgroup and Head of People and Change at Glasgow City HSCP)
  • Michelle Harrity (CMO Taskforce, SG)
  • Vicky Carmichael (CMO Taskforce, SG)
  • Adam Bircham (CMO Taskforce, SG)
  • Colin Sloey (National Co-ordinator - CMO Taskforce, SG)
  • Mark Burgess (CMO Taskforce, SG)
  • Anne Marie Hicks (Head of Victims and Witnesses Policy)
  • Dr Edward Doyle (Senior Medical Adviser for Paediatrics, SG and Associate Medical Director for Women’s and Children’s Services, NHS Lothian)
  • Beth Macmaster (Barnahus lead, Violence Against Women and Girls and Barnahus Justice Unit, SG)
  • Carol Rogers (SPA National Lead Forensic Scientist - Sexual Offences,  attending on behalf of Tom Nelson)
  • Katie Cosgrove (Gender Based Violence Programme Lead, NHS Health Scotland)
  • Deb Wardle (Archway forensic examiner and Associate NES Champion)
  • Julie Cumming (Archway forensic examiner and Associate NES Champion)
  • Ann Hayne (Gender Based Violence Manager, NHS Lanarkshire who is on temporary, part time secondment to SG)
  • Willie Cowan (Deputy Director, Criminal Justice Division, SG)
  • Dr Pauline McGough (Clinical Director and Consultant in Sexual and Reproductive Health, Sandyford Clinic)
  • Ruth Winkler (FMS Bill – Deputy Team Leader, SG)
  • Gill Imery (Her Majesty’s Chief Inspector of Constabulary in Scotland)
  • Louise Raphael (HMICS)
  • Lindsay Thomson (Medical Director of the State Hospitals Board for Scotland)
  • Sandy Brindley (Chief Executive, Rape Crisis Scotland)
  • Jessica Davidson (Senior Clinical Forensic Charge Nurse, NHS Lothian)
  • Katie Brown (Equally Safe Policy Coordinator, COSLA)
  • Jane Johnstone (Professional Social Work Advisor, SG)
  • Fiona Wardell (Health Care Improvement Scotland)
  • Fiona Murphy (Director of National Services Division (NSD), NHS National Services Scotland)

Apologies

  • Jenny Clifton Coles (CMO Taskforce, SG)
  • Jane Russell (CMO Taskforce, SG)
  • Ronald MacVicar (Post Graduate Dean, NHS Education Scotland)
  • Boyd Peters (Assistant Medical Director, NHS Highland (representing the Scottish Association of Medical Directors (SAMD))
  • Louise Wilson (representing Directors of Public Health and NHS Orkney)
  • James Crichton (Chair of Network Board, NSD and Chief Executive of the State Hospitals Board for Scotland)
  • Saira Kapasi (Head of Violence Against Women and Girls and Barnahus Justice Unit.)
  • Anne Neilson (Director of Public Protection, NHS Lothian)
  • Karen Ritchie (Deputy Director of Evidence, Healthcare Improvement Scotland (HIS))
  • Tom Nelson (Director of Forensic Services, Scottish Police Authority)
  • Iona Colvin (Chief Social Work Advisor)
  • Detective Chief Superintendent Lesley Boal (Head of Public Protection, Police Scotland) 

Items and actions

1. Welcome, Introductions and apologies

Introductions – Whilst waiting for Catherine Calderwood (CC) to arrive, Colin Sloey (CS) welcomed everyone to the meeting, invited introductions and noted apologies.

2. Minutes of last meeting and action log

  • CS invited members to agree that the minutes were a true reflection of the previous meeting. All members agreed.
  • Sandy Brindley (SB) raised a question regarding an action to look at  de-coupling Forensic Physician rotas. Pauline McGough (PMc) offered to take this offline with SB. Action is currently with Sybil Canavan (SC).
  • CC arrived and welcomed new members and paid special thanks to Ron MacVicar and James Crichton for their contribution to the Taskforce prior to their retirement. It was noted that Alan Denison takes up Ron’s post in June and will represent NES at the Taskforce and that Gary Jenkins is the new chair of the Police Network Board. 
  • It was noted that actions would be covered under each subgroup update rather than at the start of the meeting.

3.         Matters Arising

HMICS Report

  • CC noted that since the last meeting, the HMICS progress report was published 3 December 2018.
  • The report recognised the joint strategic leadership across health and justice to improving healthcare services for victims of sexual crime and highlighted that ‘the energy, commitment and enthusiasm of professionals involved in the Taskforce is commendable.’
  • The report welcomed progress across a number of areas but also stated that all of the 10 recommendations remain a ‘work in progress’ and that challenges remain.
  • CC noted several highlights since the last meeting. Additional £6 million funding confirmed by Scottish Government. 11 out of 14 boards have received funding to improve physical environment and workforce capacity and capability. From April 2019, examinations will no longer take place in a custody setting in Fife, Forth Valley, Dundee and Dumfries and Galloway and an options appraisal is underway for Wick. A consultation has begun on legislation for recommendations 1 and 7. The adult pathway consultation has closed. Proposals for an FNE pilot are gathering pace and a tendering process for colposcopes has been completed and all boards requiring a new or replacement one will receive this funding (over £0.5 million).
  • CC noted that there has been a tremendous amount of work from everyone involved and that the Taskforce had now reached a tipping point.
  • CC added that whilst there is still much more to do, this progress - together with all of the wide ranging work happening across the Taskforce subgroups - will help to deliver tangible change on the ground.
  • The progress review provides us with an opportunity to keep Chief Executives and others, focused on the importance of this work and the need to maintain momentum.
  • CC offered her sincere thanks to Gill Imery (GI) and Louise Raphael for their report as well as to Taskforce Members who were involved in the factual accuracy checking of the report.
  • GI thanked everyone for their contribution since the first report and for their support in producing the second report.
  • She noted that the report sought to strike a balance between the progress made and dedication of individuals involved, but to also recognise that progress in some areas had been slow (i.e.  6 years since the minimum standards were first discussed). GI also stated that there are more sexual crimes being reported than before but the experience for survivors has still not significantly improved.
  • CC invited GI to comment on the future role of HMICS in the inspection of healthcare services for victims of sexual crime. GI advised that the progress report was their last, and that responsibility for ongoing quality improvement should pass to Healthcare Improvement Scotland – however, HMICS will maintain a watching brief.
  • CS noted that the HIS Quality Indicators will be at the heart of future quality assurance and continuous improvement and that the data collected would help to inform self-assessment and performance reviews.
  • CC asked if HMICS would be willing to come back to a future meeting to hear an update on progress. This was agreed.
  • Action from previous meeting – future arrangements for quality assurance to be covered under Colin’s update. This will be covered under the delivery and performance update from now on. Action closed.
  • Action from previous meeting – members to note the upcoming HMICS report due in November for comment and review. Action closed. 
  • Action from previous meeting – TM to ensure Board specific issues from HMICS report are shared with respective leads at Health Board level. Action closed.
  • Action from previous meeting – TM to liaise with SG Comms on date for publication of HMICS report. Action closed.

St Kats – Equally Safe Multi-Agency Centre (ESMAC) visit 

  • CC offered some reflections on her visit to St Kats on 6 February.
  • CC noted that this project is an excellent example of multi-agency partnership working to deliver a holistic model of care for victims of rape and sexual assault and gender based violence. It will provide a centre of expertise for the South East.  
  • The facility is backed by £2.4m of SG funding, as well as funding from Police Scotland and other partners. NHS Lothian are soon to take ownership of the building and refurbishment is due to start in the spring. It is expected to be operational, from a healthcare perspective, around April 2020.
  • CC invited Jess Davidson (JD) to comment on behalf of Anne Neilson.
  • JD advised that the nurses to support the peripatetic workforce model for the South East region have now been appointed.

Forth Valley opening

  • CC advised that she would be accompanying the Cabinet Secretary for Health to open a new multi-agency healthcare and forensic medical examination facility in Forth Valley on Thursday 21 March.
  • She noted that that subgroup chairs have been given the opportunity to visit the centre in the days prior to its official opening. Any members interested in visiting  should contact Jenny Clifton Coles who would help to arrange this.

Ministerial Bi-lateral

  • CC noted that she has a meeting with the Cabinet Secretaries for Health and Justice on 14 March to discuss the work of the Taskforce.
  • CC highlighted the commitments made in the Programme for Government and that this work remains high on both Ministers’ agenda.
  • CC noted that she will provide an update on the discussion at the next meeting.

Health and Justice Collaboration Board

  • CC advised that the HJCB last met on 20 December and received a presentation on the King’s Fund paper (Leading Across the Health and Care System). In light of this, the Board agreed that they need a shared vision to articulate “what it is only they can do”. This will be the focus of their meeting on 6 March.
  • CC reminded the Taskforce that they had previously discussed Action 15 of the SG Mental Health Strategy 2017-2027, which includes a commitment to provide funding to support the employment of 800 additional mental health workers by 2021/22. 
  • The most recent published performance information for the year 2018-19, shows that 106 Whole Time Equivalent mental health workers were in post as of 1 January 2019.  The next quarterly update will be published in May 2019:

A&E

Custody suite

GP Practices

Prisons

Other settings
(inc 3rd sector)

Total

27

1

46

2

30

106

  • CC commented that the team within SG who is responsible for Action 15 has been asked to look at whether it is possible to provide any further detail on the extent to which these additional resources are directly or indirectly providing support to victims of rape and sexual assault.

Victims Taskforce

  • CC provided an update on the Victims Taskforce which is co-chaired by the Cabinet Secretary for Justice and the Lord Advocate.
  • The primary role of the Victims Taskforce is to co-ordinate and drive action to improve the experiences of victims and witnesses within the criminal justice system (including victims of rape and sexual assault), whilst ensuring a fair justice system for those accused of crime.
  • This Taskforce met for the first time on 12 December 2018.  Discussion points included their Terms of Reference, membership, priorities, cross cutting areas of work and research and best practice.  
  • CC highlighted that the next meeting on 6 March will look at their work plan and victim engagement. 
  • CC invited (SB) and Willie Cowan (WC) to provide reflections on the first meeting.
  • SB commented that the creation of the Taskforce was positive and noted that there has been an increase in demand for engagement with survivors, therefore they have set up a standalone reference group who can engage with different pieces of work.
  • WC stated that since last meeting the Taskforce’s priorities have been turned into a draft work plan.

Scottish Psychological Trauma and Adversity Training Plan

  • CC provided an update on this work led Dr Sandra Ferguson (NHS Education Scotland).
  • Trauma and adversity are known to be significant risk factors for poor health and wellbeing and reduced life chances over the course of a lifetime. To help address this, the SG commissioned NES to produce a trauma framework.
  • CC noted that Sandra was also involved in the re-design of the NES essentials in sexual offences examinations training to ensure that trauma-informed practice is woven throughout this learning.
  • It was highlighted to the group that the trauma framework published in 2017, articulates the different ways in which the Scottish Workforce can respond to people who are affected by trauma.
  • CC reminded Taskforce members that they were recently invited to comment on a consultation on the training plan to accompany the framework. CC thanked everyone who took the time to respond.
  • It was noted that he training plan will be finalised and published early in the next financial year.
  • PMc is liaising with Sandra in relation to the Children and Young People’s pathway and the group were informed that she will be presenting at an upcoming paediatric event.
  • PMc commented that conversations around language regarding trauma are not common around children and that they are exploring ways to incorporate this into the children’s  pathway. NES would then look at ways to roll training out to Police, Social work and clinicians in the paediatric networks.
  • CC advised the group that Sandra has also informed us that animations and training resources will be launched to coincide with the first meeting of the National Steering group, chaired by the Deputy First Minister on 15th May.
  • CC noted that the workforce subgroup will ensure that the NHS Board Nominated Leads are appropriately linked in to this work.    

First Minister’s National Advisory Council on Women and Girls

  • CC advised the National Advisory Council on Women and Girls was set up to advise the FM on how to tackle gender inequality in Scotland.
  • The council is independently chaired by Louise McDonald and published its first report and recommendations on 25 January 2019.
  • CC drew the groups attention to recommendation 5:

Creating a world-leading process for complainers of sexual violence, including trauma-informed forensic medical examination, independent sexual violence advocacy, review of the law on corroboration, and privacy for complainers with regards to the disclosure of their medical records.

  • CC highlighted that the report and this recommendation would help to maintain focus and momentum around the Taskforce’s work. She also highlighted that the FM drew attention to the work of this Taskforce in her speech at the launch of the report.

Round “Tuit” Letter

  • It was noted by CC that the lived experience of survivors and their families continues to underpin and drive all aspects of the Taskforce’s work.
  • CC shared a letter with the group received from the mother of a survivor (whose podcast about her experience of her forensic medical examination has been widely shared). CC then invited members to take a ‘Round Tuit’ away with them if they wished.

CC noted that she had met with this survivor and thanked her for her drive to assist us.

Action from previous meeting - a link to the podcast was to be circulated to all of the attendees of the NES Annual Conference held in November last year. Action closed.

Police Care Network

  • It was noted by CC that the Police care Network work-plan focuses primarily on healthcare and forensic medical services for people in police custody, as well as where there are synergies between the custody service and the service for victims of rape and sexual assault.
  • CC highlighted that in September 2018, a multi-agency short life working group was established to develop principles for service delivery for forensic medical examinations for suspects who are under 16 (recommendation 10 of the HMICS report).
  • CC shared with the group that draft principles are being developed and will be discussed at the next meeting of the Group on 28 February, with a view to consulting more widely in the Spring and working with NHS Boards to implement the principles over the next 12-18 months.  

4. Subgroup updates

Legislation

  • CC invited members to note the RAG report and asked Greig Walker (GW) to provide an update.
  • GW noted that his recent visit to the ESMAC site was very useful to their work on the Bill.  He noted that proposals for legislation were currently out for consultation and invited members to comment and share with their own networks. He stated that any legislation would address recommendations 1 and 7 of the HMICS report would  underpin the work of the Taskforce.
  • GW advised that a workshop will be held to explore self-referral issues. Members were invited to contact EquallysafeFMS@gov.scot with any questions.

Action from previous meeting - aim to publish Bill consultation document before Christmas 2018. Action closed.

Action from previous meeting members to note the December date for consultation document publicationAction closed.

Action from previous meeting - Members to respond to the consultation document and share with their respective networks. Action closed.

Workforce and training

  • CC invited SC to provide an update. SC summarised the highlights on the RAG report.
  • Action from previous meeting Pauline McGough to meet with Rhoda McLeod and Sybil Canavan to discuss NES training and getting more Doctors into roles. Action closed.

NES Training

  • CC invited Deb Wardle (DW) to provide an update on NES Training.
  • DW stated that we are well on course to provide 100 trained doctors with 79 of those female. An additional training course had been run for nurses in Aberdeen to help meet a particular demand in the North.
  • DW commented that a funding proposal has been submitted to SG to run 2 training courses a year for the next 2 years and to run another annual conference. This is under consideration. She also advised that educational support is ongoing and there will be continued development of training materials.
  • Lindsay Thomson (LT) asked about the relationship between the numbers trained and the number of people doing the work. SC advised that the workforce group are working with NES to gather this data and to ensure that it is shared appropriately with Health Board nominated leads. There was discussion about the need to ensure that the wider health workforce are aware of the local pathways of care and who to refer people on to. This was agreed.
  • Action from previous meeting Ron to provide tracking data on those who have completed the training. Action closed.
  • New Action: NES to provide data on those who have undertaken training who are now in post.

FNE Expert Group

  • CC invited members to note the update paper and asked Tansy Main (TM) and Jessica Davidson (JD) to provide an update.
  • TM summarised the proposal outlined in the paper and the operational, training and financial considerations currently being explored. She noted that the group are alive to the potential risks and are working closely with the COPFS to identify ways to best mitigate these.
  • JD commented that the proposal is robust and that the expert group are also working closely with Queen Margaret University on a Post Graduate Qualification to help build the workforce of the future. 
  • TM thanked all involved in this work including QMU, the COPFS and JD.
  • The update was noted and no concerns were raised.
  • Action from previous meeting - Work to develop proposals to ‘expand the available workforce whose evidence is permissible in court’ (FNEs) to be progressed by the Expert Group sitting under the Workforce and Training Subgroup. Action remains open.  

Delivery and performance

  • CC invited members to note the RAG report and stocktake paper and asked CS to provide an update.
  • CS summarised the highlights in his paper and noted that work is ongoing with HIS to develop a self-assessment and quality improvement process with Health Boards.
  • He thanked the Bill team for their work on the consultation document and reminded people to respond.
  • CS noted that in response to the HMICS report, the governance arrangements at Archway have been strengthened and performance now monitored at Board level. It was noted that funding has been identified between Taskforce funding and the Health and Social Care Partnership for the redevelopment of Archway in to a new, multi-agency centre of expertise for the West region in line with the preferred model of delivery.
  • CS noted that a lot of progress has been made with premises, particularly with moving examinations out of police settings and in to healthcare settings. Whilst some sites may take longer, it was important that Boards work with their multi-agency partners to ensure that they have an improved environment for all survivors.
  • CS advised that the recent Colposcope tendering process will ensure consistency across all Health Boards with Taskforce funding provided for the procurement of this kit. Work is also underway to develop a networking solution to allow for peer review.
  • CS noted that the FNE proposals will lead to an increase in competent staff and help to address the gender balance.
  • CS concluded that some of the Health Boards who had been making slower progress in the delivery of the CMO’s five asks, had now caught up and in some cases surpassed the progress being made in other areas. SB asked about the proposed new location for Archway. CS and PMc commented that options in terms of NHS estate in the centre of Glasgow  were limited but agreed to speak to her separately about this.
  • CC invited Ann Hayne (AH) to provide an update on the specification document for services.
  • AH explained that she had met with a wide range of stakeholders and that there was broad consensus that the requirements set out in the document were achievable and deliverable. A draft will be circulated for comment in the coming months with a view to finalising the paper by the late spring/early summer.
  • Action from previous meeting: Options appraisal to look at points of access in to services. This will be looked at as regional models of delivery develop. Action remains open. 
  • Action from previous meeting: Arrangements for the future inspection and quality assurance of services will be taken forward jointly by the Delivery and Performance and Quality Improvement Subgroups. Colin’s group will have the lead working closely with Fiona’s group. Action closed.
  • Action from previous meeting: Design and Delivery Subgroup ToR circulated for comment and review by 14 November 2018. Action closed.  
  • Action from previous meeting: Members to provide any comments on Stocktake report to CS. Action closed.  
  • Action from previous meeting: Colin to provide an update on the Stocktake report at every Taskforce meetingAction closed.
  • Action from previous meeting: Colin to provide a premises summary update for every Taskforce meeting. Action closed.  
  • New Action: PMc to speak to SB and Rhoda McLeod about location of services in Greater Glasgow and Clyde Health Board.
  • New Action: AH to bring update on specification document to a future meeting.

Information Governance Delivery Group

  • CC invited members to note the RAG report and Terms of Reference for this group and asked Vicky Carmichael (VC) to provide an update.
  • VC  explained that the aim of the IGDG is  to develop a national protocol to provide practitioners with consistency in approach in respect of the sharing of sensitive data between agencies, in line with GDPR.
  • It was noted that the group originally had a timeframe of 6 months but it had been difficult to identify Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) and the question of consent had proven tricky. Whilst the timescales for delivery have been extended, SMEs have now been identified and good progress in being made.
  • VC added that the IGDG was working closely with the Bill team on issues around data and information sharing. 

National De-contamination Protocol (HMICS Recommendation 9)

  • CC invited VC to comment on this.
  • VC advised that she has been working closely with the SPA, PS, Health Protection Scotland and Health Board Infection, Prevention and Control Leads to prepare the draft protocol and that this has now been agreed by all parties. The protocol is just awaiting formal sign off by the Lord Advocate so that it can be rolled out. Anne-Marie Hicks (AMH) asked that COPFS would welcome early sight of the protocol before it goes to the Lord Advocate and VC advised that this would be case.
  • AMH queried what would happen if there was a breach of the decontamination protocol and what the process would be for notifying the COPFS. Carol Rogers (CR) (SPA) advised that in parallel to the decontamination protocol, an environmental monitoring procedure would be developed to ensure compliance with the protocol and that she would pull together a separate paper on this for the next meeting.

  • Eddie Doyle (ED) asked about business continuity in the event of a contamination. CS confirmed this would need to be looked at and contingency plans put in place in these circumstances. There was some discussion about measures that can be put in place to control and record entry in to forensic suites such as log books and secure locks.
  • Action from previous meeting: Members to review and comment on decontamination protocol by 23 November 2018. Action closed.
  • Action from previous meeting: Tom Nelson to provide a paper for the next Taskforce meeting on options on how to ensure clarity of expectations to achieve forensic decontamination compliance. Action remains open.
  • New Action: VC to share decontamination protocol with AMH before it is submitted to the LA for approval.
  • New Action: CR to prepare paper on environmental monitoring for the next meeting.

Children and Young People Expert Group

  • CC invited members to note the paper and asked ED to provide an update.
  • ED summarised some of the challenges identified by the group, particularly in terms of assessing access to therapeutic services and the availability of staff in remote and rural areas, noting that regional solutions may need to be explored/developed.
  • He advised that his expert group are working closely with the Clinical Pathways Subgroup on the Children and Young People’s Pathway which incorporates the principles of GIRFEC and will go out to consultation shortly. One of the key issues to be resolved, is around the definition of a ‘child’ and ‘young person’ and the appropriate age at which they should be able to access self-referral services.
  • Action from previous meeting: Children and Young People Expert Group ToR to be circulated for comment and review by 14 November 2018. Action closed.
  • Action from previous meeting: Eddie Doyle to provide update to February Meeting. Action closed.

Barnahus

  • CC invited BM to provide an update on developments in relation to Barnahus
  • BM advised that she has  been leading work on how the Barnahus concept could be developed in Scotland. As recently announced by the Cabinet Secretary for Justice, the Scottish Government has asked Healthcare Improvement Scotland, in partnership with the Care Inspectorate, to develop Scotland-specific standards for Barnahus, based on the European PROMISE quality standards which outline best practice for countries who wish to develop the model.  This includes best practice in terms of medical examination of children and ensuring a child-friendly environment. 
  • BM went on to explain that these standards will form a framework for health, justice and local authorities to understand what is required to improve our collective response to child victims and provide a roadmap for developing our approach to Barnahus approach in Scotland.
  • The scoping work will start in April 2019 with final standards ready for publication by Summer 2020. There will be a number of opportunities to input at both the scoping stage and once draft standards are available for consultation.
  • GI noted that HMICS would like to be involved in the police elements of this work. BM welcomed this and said that all stakeholder groups with an interest would have an opportunity to input into development of the standards.

Clinical Pathways

  • CC invited members to note the RAG report and the draft Children and Young Person’s Pathway and asked PMc to provide an update.
  • PMc advised that the consultation on the Adult Clinical Pathway closed on 4 February. A total of 53 responses and 400 comments were received. PMc added that these are currently being grouped into themes to be addressed either by the CP subgroup or by other subgroups, but  the comments were generally supportive.
  • PMc advised that the children’s pathway is due out for consultation on 27 March for 12 weeks.
  • It was noted that  the national standardised form is now closely linked with the Quality Improvement subgroup given the close links with their work on data sets and an IT solution.
  • LT asked if there was an intent to pilot the form first with clinicians.
  • PMc stated that the intent was to go to the North region with a safe environment pilot first before coming back with a live pilot, adding that there had been good feedback from Clinicians during the process.
  • Action from previous meeting: Produce a simple summary document for survivors about the Clinical Pathways document. Remain open
  • Action from previous meeting: PMc to provide a update on the Children and Young People Pathway at the next Taskforce. Action closed.
  • Action from previous meeting: Colin to speak to PMc about home for Taskforce products. Action closed.

Quality Improvement

  • CC invited members to note the RAG report and asked Fiona Murphy (FM) to provide an update.
  • FM advised that the HIS Quality Indicators had  been published since the last meeting.
  • It was noted that questions around data are still to be resolved and that there are a lot of interdependencies to be clarified before the next step.
  • FM added that the Terms Of Reference for phase 2 of the IT project has been agreed and that  an options appraisal will brought to a future meeting.
  • Action from previous meeting: Colin and Karen Ritchie to discuss how to gather data for the purpose of quality assurance. Remain open.
  • Action from previous meeting: Fiona to provide Business case for phase 2 to TM. Action closed.
  • New Action: FM to bring options appraisal for IT solution to the next meeting

Survivor Reference Group

  • CC invited SB to provide an update.
  • SB highlighted that the Survivor Reference Group were looking at issues  around women with uncertain immigration status.
  • She added that the reference group have also been asked by the Taskforce to consider a generic name to best describe the new multi-agency healthcare and forensic medical services being developed, noting that individual services may have their own names (i.e. Archway or the Meadows in Forth Valley). SB said  there would be a meeting shortly to explore this further.
  • SB also shared with the group that they have been tasked with creating a short information leaflet/booklet for survivors in the immediate aftermath of a trauma and that a further update will be provided at the next meeting.
  • Action from previous meeting: SB to consult Reference Group on name of services. Remain open.

 5. COPFS

  • CC noted that COPFS had not been on the agenda but AMH has agreed to provide an update.
  • With regard to an action from the previous meeting, AMH confirmed that a colposcope cannot be used to corroborate a forensic medical examination and that an appropriately trained healthcare professional should fulfil the role of corroborating witness rather than a police Sexual Offence Liaison Officer (SOLO). This clarity was welcomed.
  • AMH commented that things were moving in a positive direction and that COPFS were working closely with the expert group developing the FNE proposal.
  • Action from previous meeting: COPFS to provide statement on the use of a colposcope to corroborate a forensic medical examination. Action closed.

6. Programme management and secretariat

Governance Structure

  • CC referred to the updated governance structure and noted that this visual aid clearly demonstrates how the work of the Taskforce has mushroomed and developed over the last 18 months.

Timeline and interdependencies

  • CC invited members to note the draft milestones and dependency map and invited VC to provide an update.
  • VC noted that she had worked with the NSS project managers to try and capture all the milestones and inter-dependencies between the work of the different subgroups.
  • She noted that this is a work in progress and that a further iteration would come to a future meeting. 

Risk

  • TM advised that the Secretariat are looking to improve how we manage risk moving forward and that a paper on this would be brought to the next meeting.

Secretariat and Comms

Adam Bircham (AB) advised that he job shares with Jenny Clifton Coles (JCC), with a responsibility for Taskforce Secretariat functions and communications. He noted that members can expect to see improvements in how these processes are managed going forward. This was noted.

  • Action from last meeting: Note to members on importance of attending meetings and to nominate a deputy to attend in their absence. Action closed.
  • New Action: VC to provide an update on milestones and inter-dependencies mapping work at a future meeting.
  • New Action: Jenny Clifton Coles (JCC) to bring paper on risk to the meeting on 7 May.

7. AOB

  • CC invited members to raise any other business but none were raised.
  • CC thanked members for their contributions.

Contact

Email: tansy.main@gov.scot