Public Sector Employment in Scotland Statistics for 4th Quarter 2022
Statistics based on administrative records and surveys of individual public sector bodies carried out by the Scottish Government and the Office for National Statistics (ONS). This is a snapshot of employment as at December 2022.
This document is part of 2 collections
4. Reserved Public Sector Employment in Scotland; Headcount
(see Table 4)
The reserved public sector employment includes:
- Reserved Civil Service
- Armed Forces
- Other Public Sector (which covers Public Sector Financial Institutions, Non-Departmental Bodies and Other Bodies)
The number of people employed in the reserved public sector in December 2022 was 55,800. This was 590 (1.1%) higher than in December 2021.
Chart 4 shows the size of each group in the reserved public sector as at December 2022. The reserved civil service employs the largest proportion of employees in the reserved public sector.
Source: Public Sector Employment in Scotland, Quarter 4 2022.
Note: Totals may not equal the sum of the individual parts due to rounding.
The increase over the year in the overall reserved public sector headcount was due to the following changes (changes are given from December 2021 to December 2022):
- employment in Other Public Sector increased by 730 (3.7%) to 20,800
- employment in the Armed Forces increased by 330 (3.3%) to 10,500
- employment in reserved Civil Service decreased by 480 (-1.9%) to 24,600
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback