Public Sector Employment in Scotland Statistics for 4th Quarter 2022
Statistics based on administrative records and surveys of individual public sector bodies carried out by the Scottish Government and the Office for National Statistics (ONS). This is a snapshot of employment as at December 2022.
This document is part of 2 collections
1. Estimates for total employment and private sector employment are based on the Labour Force Survey, ONS.
2. Further details on major reclassifications are provided on page 5 and on the About public sector employment statistics page of the Scottish Government website.
3. Public corporations, public sector financial institutions and public bodies have been combined into 'other public sector' to ensure individual organisation employment figures are not disclosed.
4. Estimates for private sector employment are based on non-seasonally adjusted total employment estimates from the Labour Force Survey, ONS and public sector employment figures.
5. Major reserved reclassifications include Royal Bank of Scotland plc, Lloyds Banking Group plc, Northern Rock plc, Lloyds TSB Commercial Finance, Lloyds Bank Asset Finance, Scottish Widows, Direct Line, Royal Mail Group plc, (known as the Post Office Ltd (until Q2 2006) and Network Rail. Devolved reclassifications include Registered Social Landlords, with Train Operating Companies split across Reserved and Devolved responsibility.
6. For the Reserved sector: Public corporations, public sector financial institutions and public bodies have been combined into 'other public sector' to ensure individual organisation employment figures are not disclosed.
7. For further details on the make-up of the Scottish Public Sector, please see the background notes for this publication on the About public sector employment statistics – background notes webpage
8. A more detailed breakdown of the Devolved Civil Service data is published in the associated Public Sector Employment data web tables
9. A detailed breakdown of NHS employment by staffing group was published by NHS Education for Scotland (NES) on 7 March 2022, with data relating to 31 December 2022 in their NHS Scotland official workforce statistics publication
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback