4. Reserved Public Sector Employment in Scotland; Headcount (see Table 4)
The number of people employed in the reserved public sector in December 2019 was 56,300, 1,440 (2.6%) higher than in December 2018.
The reserved public sector employment includes:
- Reserved Civil Service (see section 5);
- Armed Forces;
- Other Public Sector (which covers Public Sector Financial Institutions, Non-Departmental Bodies and Other Bodies).
Chart 5 shows the size of each group in the reserved public sector as at December 2019.
Source: Public Sector Employment in Scotland, Quarter 4 2019
Note: Totals may not equal the sum of the individual parts due to rounding.
The increase in the overall headcount in the reserved public sector was due to:
- Employment levels for Other Public Sector increasing by 1,990 (9.8%) from 20,300 in December 2018 to 22,300 in December 2019;
- Employment levels for the Reserved Civil Service fell by 550
(2.2%) to 24,300;
- Employment levels for the Armed Forces were unchanged at 9,700.