3. Devolved Public Sector Employment in Scotland; Headcount (see Table 3)
Employment in the devolved public sector was 8,300 (1.7%) higher, at 505,200 in December 2019 compared with 496,900 in December 2018.
The devolved public sector includes:
Devolved Civil Service (see section 5),
Local Government, covering Scottish Local Authorities, Police and Fire Services (up to Q1 2013), Valuation Joint Boards and Regional Transport Partnerships,
Police and Fire Services (Q2 2013 onwards),
NHS in Scotland,
Further Education Colleges,
Devolved Public Corporations,
Other Devolved Public Bodies (which covers Non-Departmental Bodies and other bodies).
Chart 4 shows the size of each group in the devolved public sector as at December 2019.
Source: Public Sector Employment in Scotland, Quarter 4 2019
Note: Totals may not equal the sum of the individual parts due to rounding
The increase in the overall headcount over the year in the devolved public sector was due to:
- Employment levels in Scottish Local Government rising by 3,090 (1.2%) to 252,000 in December 2019;
- Employment in the Devolved Civil Service rising by 2,420 (13.3%) to 20,600 in December 2019;
- Employment levels in the NHS rising by 2,060 (1.3%) to 165,900 in December 2019;
- Employment in Further Education Colleges rising by 210 (1.5%) to 14,200 in December 2019.
- The number of Police and Fire Service employees rising by 260 (0.9%) to 28,100 in December 2019.
- Employment in Public Corporations rising by 130 (1.6%) to 8,000 in December 2019;
- Employment in Other Public Bodies rising by 130 (0.8%) to 16,100 in December 2019;