Table 1: Number of people employed by public and private sector; Scotland, Headcount
Not Seasonally Adjusted
|Total Employment6||Private Sector2||Public Sector||Estimated Private Sector including major reclassifications3, 4||Estimated Public Sector excluding major reclassifications3, 5|
|Level||Level||Percentage of total employment||Level||Percentage of total employment||Level||Percentage of total employment||Level||Percentage of total employment|
|Q4 2012 r||2,484,000||1,886,800||76.0%||597,100||24.0%||1,950,000||78.5%||533,800||21.5%|
|Q4 2013 r||2,557,000||1,972,200||77.1%||584,800||22.9%||2,023,100||79.1%||533,800||20.9%|
|Q4 2014 r||2,596,000||2,034,500||78.4%||561,100||21.6%||2,062,700||79.5%||532,800||20.5%|
|Q4 2015 r||2,624,000||2,063,400||78.6%||560,900||21.4%||2,092,200||79.7%||532,100||20.3%|
|Q4 2016 r||2,612,000||2,053,700||78.6%||558,700||21.4%||2,082,000||79.7%||530,400||20.3%|
|Q4 2017 r||2,640,000||2,079,500||78.8%||560,100||21.2%||2,107,200||79.8%||532,400||20.2%|
|Change on year to:|
|Q4 2018||10,100||16,960||0.3 p.p.||-6,860||-0.3 p.p.||1,510||-0.2 p.p.||8,590||0.2 p.p.|
|% change on year:|
r = revision due to reweighting of Labour Force Survey Total Employment figure.
p.p. - percentage points
1. Employment figures have been rounded to the nearest hundred, unless otherwise stated. Change on year rounded to the nearest ten. Totals may not equal the sum of individual parts due to rounding.
2. Private sector is derived as the difference between the Labour Force Survey 'Total employment' workforce based estimate for the whole of Scotland (not seasonally adjusted) and the public sector estimate (derived from individual organisation statistical returns).
3. Major reclassifications include: Royal Bank of Scotland plc, Lloyds Banking Group plc, Northern Rock plc, Lloyds TSB Commercial Finance, Lloyds Bank Asset Finance, Scottish Widows, Direct Line, Royal Mail Group plc, Post Office Ltd (until Q2 2006), Network Rail and Registered Social Landlords.
4. Private sector including major reclassifications includes the figures for the above organisations in the private sector series when they were part of the public sector.
5. Public sector excluding major reclassifications excludes the figures for the above organisations from the public sector series when they were part of the public sector.
6. Total employment figures are rounded to the nearest thousand.
7. Public sector employment includes the following series: Caledonian Maritime Assets Ltd from Q1 2008, British Wool Marketing Board from Q3 2009, The Oil and Pipeline Agency from Q1 2013, Medical Research Council Technology from Q1 2016, Awe Management Ltd from Q1 2014, NPL Management LtD from Q2 2017 and Shared Services Connect Limted from Q4 2015 to Q2 2017. Bòrd na Gàidhlig from Q4 2010, Commissioner for Ethical Standards in Public Life in Scotland from Q2 2011, Children and Young People's Commissioner Scotland from Q2 2004, Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission from Q4 2010, Scottish Commission for Human Rights from Q1 2008, Scottish Association of Citizens Advice Bureau from Q2 2005, Oil and Gas Authority from Q2 2015, and Information Commissioner's Office from Q1 2015.
If you have any enquiries relating to Labour Market Statistics then please contact us at:
Telephone: 0131 244 6773
Fax: 0300 244 1060
Labour Market Statistics
OCEAES: Economic Strategy and Policy
5 Atlantic Quay
We welcome any comments on both the format and content of the website, including any problems you may encounter.
You may also contact the Statistician Group Enquiries for general information.
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback