4. Reserved Public Sector Employment in Scotland; Headcount
(see Table 5)
The number of people employed in the reserved public sector in December 2018 was 55,100, 800 (1.4%) lower than in December 2017.
The estimated reserved public sector, excluding the effects of the major reclassifications, was 300 (0.7%) lower, at 42,800 in December 2018.
The reserved public sector employment includes:
- Reserved Civil Service (see section 5);
- Armed Forces;
- Reserved Public Corporations and Public Sector Financial Institutions;
- Other Reserved Public Bodies (which covers Non-Departmental Bodies and other bodies).
Chart 5 shows the size of each group in the reserved public sector as at December 2018.
Chart 5: Breakdown of Reserved Public Sector Employment by Sector as at December 2018, Headcount
Source: Public Sector Employment in Scotland, Quarter 4 2018
Note: Totals may not equal the sum of the individual parts due to rounding.
The decrease in the overall headcount in the reserved public sector was due to:
- Employment levels for the Reserved Civil Service falling by 670 (2.7%);
- Employment levels for Public Corporations & Public Sector Financial Institutions falling by 610 (5.6%) from 10,900 in December 2017 to 10,300 in December 2018;
- Employment levels for the Armed Forces falling by 30 (0.3%);
- Employment levels for Public Bodies rose by 510 (5.2%).
Figure 4: Percentage Change (from December 2017 to December 2018) in the Reserved Public Sector, Headcount
If you have any enquiries relating to Labour Market Statistics then please contact us at:
Telephone: 0131 244 6773
Fax: 0300 244 1060
Labour Market Statistics
OCEAES: Economic Strategy and Policy
5 Atlantic Quay
We welcome any comments on both the format and content of the website, including any problems you may encounter.
You may also contact the Statistician Group Enquiries for general information.
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback