Table 6: Devolved civil service employment; Scotland, Headcount
Not Seasonally Adjusted
|Devolved Civil Service|
|Total Devolved Civil Service3,4||Scottish Government Core Directorates (excluding Agencies)||Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal||Scottish Government Agencies2,3||Non-Ministerial Departments5|
|Change on year to:|
|% change on year:|
1. Employment figures have been rounded to the nearest hundred. Change on year rounded to the nearest ten. Percentages are based on unrounded figures. Totals may not equal the sum of individual parts due to rounding.
2. From Q4 2011, NHS has responsibility for employing Healthcare staff within prisons. Previously, these people were employed directly by the Scottish Prison Service (SPS). In Q2 2012 1,491 & 1062.1 FTE / headcount staff transferred from Highland Council to NHS Highland.
3. Historic Scotland is no longer part of the Civil Service (Q4 2015). Historic Scotland merged with the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland to become Historic Environment Scotland, a non-departmental public body.
4. From Q1 2015, Revenue Scotland (new body established on 1st January 2015) has been included as part of the devolved civil service. From Q2 2015, Food Standards Scotland (new body as of 1st April 2015) has been included as part of the devolved civil service. Therefore, Food Standards Agency is no longer included in the reserved civil service.
5. From Q2 2017, the Non-Ministerial Departments figures include the Scottish Fiscal Commission.
6. From Q3 2018, the Scottish Government Agencies includes Social Security Scotland.
If you have any enquiries relating to Labour Market Statistics then please contact us at:
Telephone: 0131 244 6773
Fax: 0300 244 1060
Labour Market Statistics
OCEAES: Economic Strategy and Policy
5 Atlantic Quay
We welcome any comments on both the format and content of the website, including any problems you may encounter.
You may also contact the Statistician Group Enquiries for general information.
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback