4. Reserved Public Sector Employment in Scotland; Headcount (see Table 5)
This section provides a summary of reserved public sector employment which includes:
- Reserved Civil Service (see section 5);
- Armed Forces;
- Reserved Public Corporations and Public Sector Financial Institutions;
- Other Reserved Public Bodies (which covers Non-Departmental Bodies and other bodies).
The number of people employed in the reserved public sector decreased by 270 (-0.5%) to 57,000 in Q3 2016.
The estimated reserved public sector excluding the effects of the major reclassifications remained fairly constant (increasing by 20 (+0.0%)) to 43,400 in Q3 2016.
Chart 5 shows the composition of the reserved public sector as at Q3 2016.
Chart 5: Breakdown of Reserved Public Sector Employment by Sector, Headcount, Q3 2016
Source: Public Sector Employment in Scotland, Quarter 3 2016
Note: Totals may not equal the sum of the individual parts due to rounding.
Over the year:
- Employment levels for the Reserved Civil Service decreased by 170 (-0.7%);
- Employment levels for Public Corporations & Public Sector Financial Institutions  decreased by 360 (-2.9%) from 12,000 in Q3 2015 to 11,700 in Q3 2016;
- Employment levels for the Armed Forces increased by 350 (+3.6%);
- Employment levels for Public Bodies decreased by 90 (-0.9%).