Table 1: Number of people employed by public and private sector; Scotland, Headcount
Not Seasonally Adjusted
|Total Employment6||Private Sector2||Public Sector||Estimated Private Sector||Estimated Public Sector|
|including major reclassifications3, 4||excluding major reclassifications3, 5|
|Level||Level||Percentage of total employment||Level||Percentage of total employment||Level||Percentage of total employment||Level||Percentage of total employment|
|Q2 2018 r||2,677,000||2,117,500||79.1%||560,000||20.9%||2,145,200||80.1%||532,300||19.9%|
|Change on year to:|
|Q2 2019||-12,770||-11,450||-0.1 p.p.||-1,310||0.1 p.p.||-23,430||-0.5 p.p.||10,660||0.5 p.p.|
|% change on year:|
r = Revision due to minor revision to Other Public Bodies
p.p. - percentage points
1. Employment figures have been rounded to the nearest hundred, unless otherwise stated. Change on year rounded to the nearest ten. Totals may not equal the sum of individual parts due to rounding.
2. Private sector is derived as the difference between the Labour Force Survey 'Total employment' workforce based estimate for the whole of Scotland (not seasonally adjusted) and the public sector estimate (derived from individual organisation statistical returns).
3. Major reclassifications include: Royal Bank of Scotland plc, Lloyds Banking Group plc, Northern Rock plc, Lloyds TSB Commercial Finance, Lloyds Bank Asset Finance, Scottish Widows, Direct Line, Royal Mail Group plc, Post Office Ltd (until Q2 2006), Network Rail and Registered Social Landlords.
4. Private sector including major reclassifications includes the figures for the above organisations in the private sector series when they were part of the public sector.
5. Public sector excluding major reclassifications excludes the figures for the above organisations from the public sector series when they were part of the public sector.
6. Total employment figures are rounded to the nearest thousand.
If you have any enquiries relating to Labour Market Statistics then please contact us at:
Telephone: 0131 244 6773
Fax: 0300 244 1060
Labour Market Statistics
OCEAES: Economic Strategy and Policy
5 Atlantic Quay
We welcome any comments on both the format and content of the website, including any problems you may encounter.
You may also contact the Statistician Group Enquiries for general information.