4. Reserved Public Sector Employment in Scotland; Headcount (see Table 4)
The number of people employed in the reserved public sector in June 2019 was 58,300, 2,900 (5.2%) higher than in June 2018.
The estimated reserved public sector, excluding the effects of the major reclassifications, was 20 (0.1%) lower than June 2018, at 42,600 in June 2019.
The reserved public sector employment includes:
- Reserved Civil Service (see section 5);
- Armed Forces;
- Other Public Sector (which covers Public Sector Financial Institutions, Non-Departmental Bodies and Other Bodies).
Chart 5 shows the size of each group in the reserved public sector as at June 2019.
Chart 5: Breakdown of Reserved Public Sector Employment by Sector as at June 2019, Headcount
Source: Public Sector Employment in Scotland, Quarter 2 2019
Note: Totals may not equal the sum of the individual parts due to rounding.
The increase in the overall headcount in the reserved public sector was due to:
- Employment levels for Other Public Sector increasing by 3,290 (15.7%) from 21,000 in June 2018 to 24,300 in June 2019;
- Employment levels for the Reserved Civil Service fell by 390
- Employment levels for the Armed Forces were unchanged.
Figure 4: Percentage Change (from June 2018 to June 2019) in the Reserved Public Sector, Headcount
If you have any enquiries relating to Labour Market Statistics then please contact us at:
Telephone: 0131 244 6773
Fax: 0300 244 1060
Labour Market Statistics
OCEAES: Economic Strategy and Policy
5 Atlantic Quay
We welcome any comments on both the format and content of the website, including any problems you may encounter.
You may also contact the Statistician Group Enquiries for general information.