3. Devolved Public Sector Employment in Scotland; Headcount (see Table 3)
Employment in the devolved public sector was 4,210 (0.8%) lower, at 500,400 in June 2019 compared with 504,600 in June 2018.
The devolved public sector includes:
- Devolved Civil Service (see section 5),
- Local Government, covering Scottish Local Authorities, Police and Fire Services (up to Q1 2013), Valuation Joint Boards and Regional Transport Partnerships,
- Police and Fire Services (Q2 2013 onwards),
- NHS in Scotland,
- Further Education Colleges,
- Devolved Public Corporations,
- Other Devolved Public Bodies (which covers Non-Departmental Bodies and other bodies).
Chart 4 shows the size of each group in the devolved public sector as at June 2019.
Chart 4: Breakdown of Devolved Public Sector Employment by Category as at June 2019, Headcount
Source: Public Sector Employment in Scotland, Quarter 2 2019
Note: Totals may not equal the sum of the individual parts due to rounding
The decrease in the overall headcount over the year in the devolved public sector was due to:
- Employment in Public Corporations falling by 14,770 (63.5%) to 8,000 in June 2019, mainly due to Registered Social Landlords being reclassified to the private sector in the last year;
- Employment levels in Scottish Local Government rose by 6,810 (2.8%) to 251,000 in June 2019 (this was mainly due to Cordia services moving back under Glasgow City Council services);
- Employment in the Devolved Civil Service rose by 1,440 (8.2%) to 18,900 in June 2019;
- Employment in Other Public Bodies rose by 300 (1.9%) to 16,300 in June 2019;
- Employment levels in the NHS rose by 1,360 (0.8%) to 163,600 in June 2019;
- Employment in Further Education Colleges rose by 270 (1.9%) to 14,100 in June 2019.
- The number of Police and Fire Service employees rose by 370 (1.3%) to 28,000 in June 2019.
Figure 3: Percentage Change (from June 2018 to June 2019) in the Devolved Public Sector, Headcount
If you have any enquiries relating to Labour Market Statistics then please contact us at:
Telephone: 0131 244 6773
Fax: 0300 244 1060
Labour Market Statistics
OCEAES: Economic Strategy and Policy
5 Atlantic Quay
We welcome any comments on both the format and content of the website, including any problems you may encounter.
You may also contact the Statistician Group Enquiries for general information.