Public sector employment in Scotland: statistics for second quarter 2018
The statistics in this release are based on administrative records and surveys of individual public sector bodies carried out by the Scottish Government and the Office for National Statistics (ONS). This is a snapshot of employment as at June 2018.
This document is part of 2 collections
3. Devolved Public Sector Employment in Scotland; Headcount (see Table 4)
Employment in the devolved public sector was 1,730 (0.3%) higher, at 504,300 in June 2018 compared with 502,600 in June 2017.
The devolved public sector includes:
Devolved Civil Service (see section 5),
Local Government, covering Scottish Local Authorities, Police and Fire Services (up to Q1 2013), Valuation Joint Boards and Regional Transport Partnerships,
Police and Fire Services (Q2 2013 onwards),
NHS in Scotland,
Further Education Colleges,
Devolved Public Corporations,
Other Devolved Public Bodies (which covers Non-Departmental Bodies and other bodies).
Chart 4 shows the size of each group in the devolved public sector as at June 2018.
Chart 4: Breakdown of Devolved Public Sector Employment by Category as at June 2018, Headcount
Source: Public Sector Employment in Scotland, Quarter 2 2018
Note: Totals may not equal the sum of the individual parts due to rounding
The increase in the overall headcount in the devolved public sector was due to:
- Employment levels in Scottish Local Government rising by 1,210 (0.5%) to 244,000 in June 2018;
- Employment in the devolved civil service rising by 390 (2.3%);
- Employment in other public bodies rising by 190 (1.2%) to 15,900 in June 2018;
- Employment in public corporations rising by 40 (0.2%) to 23,000 in June 2018;
- Employment levels in the NHS increasing very slightly (with an increased headcount of 60 (0.0%)) to 162,300 in June 2018  ;
- The number of Police and Fire Service employees fell by 60 (0.2%) to 27,600 in June 2018.
- Employment in Further Education colleges fell by 100 (0.7%) to 13,800 in June 2018.
Figure 3: Percentage Change (from June 2017 to June 2018) in the Devolved Public Sector, Headcount
If you have any enquiries relating to Labour Market Statistics then please contact us at:
Telephone: 0131 244 6773
Fax: 0300 244 1060
Labour Market Statistics
OCEAES: Economic Strategy and Policy
5 Atlantic Quay
We welcome any comments on both the format and content of the website, including any problems you may encounter.
You may also contact the Statistician Group Enquiries for general information.
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback