Public sector employment in Scotland: statistics for second quarter 2018
The statistics in this release are based on administrative records and surveys of individual public sector bodies carried out by the Scottish Government and the Office for National Statistics (ONS). This is a snapshot of employment as at June 2018.
This document is part of 2 collections
1. Changes are calculated by comparing with the same quarter in the previous year.
2. Major reclassifications include Royal Bank of Scotland plc, Lloyds Banking Group plc, Northern Rock plc, Lloyds TSB Commercial Finance, Lloyds Bank Asset Finance, Scottish Widows, Direct Line, Royal Mail Group plc,(known as the Post Office Ltd (until Q2 2006)), Network Rail and Registered Social Landlords.
3. For further details on the make-up of the Scottish Public Sector, please see the background notes for this publication: http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Statistics/Browse/Labour-Market/PublicSectorEmployment/SourcesDef
4. A detailed breakdown on this information by staffing group was published by ISD on the 4 th September 2018: http://www.isdscotland.org/Health-Topics/Workforce/
5. The reclassification of Lloyds Banking Group plc. has meant it is no longer possible to produce a separate public sector financial institutions employment series to ensure individual organisation employment figures are not disclosed. Public corporations have been combined with public sector financial institutions to create a new grouping.
6. When interpreting changes over time in the devolved civil
service in Scotland it should be noted that due to organisational
changes, staff have transferred between the Scottish Government
core directorates and agencies. Detail about the above changes can
be found in the background notes.
8. Scottish Government Agencies includes Scottish Prison Service, Disclosure Scotland, Transport Scotland, Student Awards Agency for Scotland, Scottish Public Pensions Agency, Accountant in Bankruptcy and Historic Scotland until Q3 2015.
9. Other Civil Service includes Home Office, Ministry of Justice, Department for Transport, Food Standards Agency (until 31 March 2015), Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, Chancellor’s Other Departments, Department for International Trade, HM Treasury, Office of Gas and Electricity Markets, Office of Rail and Road, UK Export Finance and Cabinet Office.
If you have any enquiries relating to Labour Market Statistics then please contact us at:
Telephone: 0131 244 6773
Fax: 0300 244 1060
Labour Market Statistics
OCEAES: Economic Strategy and Policy
5 Atlantic Quay
We welcome any comments on both the format and content of the website, including any problems you may encounter.
You may also contact the Statistician Group Enquiries for general information.
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback