Table 2: Public sector employment by National Accounts Sector Classification; Scotland, Headcount
Not Seasonally Adjusted
|Total Public Sector||National Accounts Central Government Category||Local Government||Public Corporations||Public Sector Financial Institutions|
|Civil Service||Other Public Bodies||NHS||Armed Forces||Further Education Colleges||Total Central Government|
|Change on year to:|
|% change on year:|
1. Figures have been rounded to the nearest hundred.
2. Public sector financial institutions include Northern Rock (classified to the public sector from Q4 2007), Royal Bank of Scotland Group plc and Lloyds Banking Group plc (both classified to the public sector from Q4 2008).
3. Local Government category revised to include Strathclyde Partnership for Transport (SPT) following a review by the National Accounts Classifications Team at ONS.
4. A number of local government staff have transferred to arms length organisations which are part of the private sector under National Accounts definitions. For example, staff transferrred from Glasgow City Council to Cordia Limited Liability Partnership from 1 April 2009 thus explaining the decrease in local government employment between 2008 and 2009.
5. Information for further education colleges in Scotland is based on actual information from Q4 2010. The method used to create the back series is detailed in the background notes of this publication.
6. From Q4 2011, NHS has responsibility for employing Healthcare staff within prisons. Previously, these people were employed directly by the Scottish Prison Service (SPS).
Detailed tables showing a full time series of data - all quarters back to Q1 1999 - are available to download from the Public Sector Employment Websection:
Email: Gayle Mackie
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback