3. Devolved Public Sector Employment in Scotland; Headcount
(see Table 3)
Employment in the devolved public sector was 8,700 (1.7%) higher, at 508,700 in March 2020 compared with 500,000 in March 2019.
The devolved public sector includes:
- Devolved Civil Service (see section 5),
- Local Government, covering Scottish Local Authorities, Police and Fire Services (up to Q1 2013), Valuation Joint Boards and Regional Transport Partnerships,
- Police and Fire Services (Q2 2013 onwards),
- NHS in Scotland,
- Further Education Colleges,
- Devolved Public Corporations,
- Other Devolved Public Bodies (which covers Non-Departmental Bodies and other bodies).
Chart 4 shows the size of each group in the devolved public sector as at March 2020.
Source: Public Sector Employment in Scotland, Quarter 1 2020
Note: Totals may not equal the sum of the individual parts due to rounding
The increase in the overall headcount over the year in the devolved public sector was due to:
- Employment levels in Scottish Local Government rising by 2,810 (1.1%) to 253,000 in March 2020;
- Employment in the Devolved Civil Service rising by 2,460 (13.1%) to 21,100 in March 2020;
- Employment levels in the NHS rising by 2,910 (1.8%) to 167,000 in March 2020;
- Employment in Further Education Colleges rising by 160 (1.1%) to 14,400 in March 2020.
- The number of Police and Fire Service employees rising by 470 (1.7%) to 28,400 in March 2020.
- Employment in Public Corporations rising by 30 (0.4%) to 8,000 in March 2020;
- Employment in Other Public Bodies fell by 150 (0.9%) to 15,900 in March 2020;
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback