Personal Assistant Employer's Handbook

Basic information about what you need to know if you are considering using Option 1 - a Direct Payment becoming a Personal Assistant (PA) employer

Employing close family members

You may be able to employ a close family member as your PA if:

  • you are unable to find a care agency or employ a PA who can deliver the services you need
  • you have special communication needs
  • your cultural or religious needs can only be met by a family member
  • you and your social worker/care worker agree this is appropriate

However, if you want to employ a family member your council must agree to this arrangement.

You should think very carefully about employing a family member who lives in the same house as you, as it will be difficult to separate the times when they are your employee and when they are delivering unpaid care.

Before approaching your social worker/care worker to discuss employing a family member you should think about:

  • how this will change your relationship with them?
  • how you will feel about being their boss?
  • what you will do if they don't do the job you are employing them to do?
  • how you will feel if you have to end their employment?



Back to top