Personal Assistant Employer's Handbook

Basic information about what you need to know if you are considering using Option 1 - a Direct Payment becoming a Personal Assistant (PA) employer

Useful contacts

Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service (ACAS)

ACAS offers help with employment relations by supplying up-to-date information, independent advice and high quality training, and working with employers and employees to solve problems and improve performance.
Tel: 08457 47 47 47 for free and confidential advice

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC)
HMRC collects and administers direct and indirect taxes and pay and administer things like Child Benefit, Child Trust Fund and Tax Credits.

For information on employment status, follow this link:

For information on becoming an employer, follow this link:

Tel: 08457 143 143
Text phone: 0845 602 1380
Text Relay: 18001 followed by the HMRC telephone number
Fax: 0191 225 6677

Health and Safety Executive (HSE)

The HSE's job is to promote safety in the workplace.

No general telephone helpline available

Home Office UK Border Agency

The agency protects the UK border, and explains how to legally employ migrant workers.
Employers Helpline: 0300 123 4699

Monday to Thursday 9am to 5pm and Friday 9am to 4.30pm (excluding public holidays)

National Minimum Wage Helpline

Help and advice for employees and employers on the rules of the National Minimum Wage, they also deal with complaints from workers who are being paid below the threshold.
Tel: 0800 917 2368
Text phone: 0800 121 4042

The Pensions Regulator

Information for employers about work-based pension schemes for your employees as well as information about automatic enrolment.

Royal Mail

You can use Royal Mail to set up a PO Box, rather than using your home address if you would prefer.
Tel: 08457 950 950

Scottish Personal Assistant Employer's Network

For support and advice for PA employers including employment law.
Tel: 01698 250 280 Fax: 01698 250 236



Back to top