Attendees and apologies
- Shona Robison Cabinet Secretary for Health and Sport
- Maureen Watt Minister for Mental Health
- Aileen Campbell Minister for Public Health and Sport
Health Board Chairs
- Martin Cheyne NHS Ayrshire and Arran
- John Raine NHS Borders
- Tricia Marwick NHS Fife
- Alex Linkston NHS Forth Valley
- John Brown NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
- Stephen Logan NHS Grampian
- David Alston NHS Highland
- Neena Mahal NHS Lanarkshire
- Martin Hill NHS Lothian (Non-Executive)
- Ian Kinniburgh NHS Orkney and Shetland
- Stephen Hay NHS Tayside (Vice-Chair)
- Neil Galbraith NHS Western Isles
- Stewart MacKinnon Golden Jubilee Foundation, Vice Chair
- Denise Coia Healthcare Improvement Scotland (Chair of NHS Chairs Group)
- Lindsay Burley NHS Education for Scotland
- David Crichton NHS Health Scotland
- Esther Roberton NHS 24
- David Garbutt Scottish Ambulance Service
- Terry Currie State Hospital
- Paul Edie Care Inspectorate
- Pam Whittle Scottish Health Council
Scottish Government Officials
- Paul Gray Director General for Health and Social Care for the Scottish Government and Chief Executive of NHS Scotland
- Jason Leitch National Clinical Director
- Christine McLaughlin Director of Health Finance
- Jamie MacDougall Deputy Director, Care, Support and Rights
- Alan Hunter Director of Performance and Delivery
- Catherine Calderwood Chief Medical Officer
- Colin Brown Head of the Office of the Chief Executive NHSScotland
- Robert Kirkwood Office of the Chief Executive NHSScotland
- Laurie Whyte Office of the Chief Executive NHSScotland
- Jack Downie DPS/Cabinet Secretary for Health and Sport
- David Bedwell NHSScotland Executive Support
- John Burns Regional Implementation Lead, West of Scotland and Chief Executive, NHS Ayrshire and Arran
- Lesley Curry Scottish Clinical Leadership Fellow
- Annamarie Horne Scottish Clinical Leadership Fellow
- Phil Jones NHS Dumfries and Galloway
- Brian Houston NHS Lothian
- John Connell NHS Tayside
- Elizabeth Ireland NHS National Services Scotland
- Shirley Rogers Director of Health Workforce and Strategic Change
- Andrew Scott Director of Population Health Improvement
- Geoff Huggins Director of Health and Social Care Integration/Director of Digital Health and Social Care
- Michael Chalmers Director of Children and Families
- Fiona McQueen Chief Nursing Officer
Items and actions
1. At the beginning of the meeting, NHS Board Chairs collectively signed the ‘White Ribbon Campaign’ pledge to end male violence to women.
2. A list of those present and apologies is provided above.
Minutes of the previous meeting
3. The minutes of the meeting held on 30 October 2017 were approved.
4. There were no matters arising.
5. The Cabinet Secretary highlighted the following areas for the attention of NHS Board Chairs:
- Review of Targets and Indicators
- Elective Performance and Winter Planning
- The Children and Young People (Scotland) (Information Sharing) Bill
- Consultation on the Review of Adults with Incapacity Legislation
6. The Minister for Public Health and Sport then made reference to the Carers Act which will come into force in April 2018. She highlighted NHS Boards responsibilities to develop local carer strategies for carer identification and support and encouraged NHS Board Chairs to sign up to become a ‘Carer Positive’ employer.
Feedback from Chairs' private meeting
7. Denise Coia shared the key themes which arose following discussions from the NHS Board Chairs private meeting, including:
- Access collaborative
- Regional planning – emergent strategies, governance, risk assessment
- Financial planning
8. Commenting on the issues relating to primary care, the Cabinet Secretary asked officials to circulate to Chairs the response prepared by the British Medical Association (BMA) on the proposed new GP Contract, in which they have set out that there should be no detriment to current services in rural areas.
9. It was agreed that the GP Contract should be discussed at the next meeting on 29 January 2018, following the results of the poll being run by the BMA to ask GPs whether they think the new contract should be implemented.
10. With regards to financial planning, the Cabinet Secretary confirmed that Scotland’s draft Budget 2018/19 will be published on 14 December 2017 and that this would also be discussed at the January meeting.
11. John Burns, Regional Implementation Lead for West of Scotland and Chief Executive, NHS Ayrshire and Arran led a presentation on regionalisation arrangements in the west of Scotland.
12. The Cabinet Secretary recognised the extent of the work that has been progressed to date and agreed that the next couple of meetings should follow a similar format with presentations from the Regional Implementation Leads on the East of Scotland, and the National Programme.
Any other business
13. No additional items were proposed.
Date and time of next meeting
14. The next NHS Chairs meeting will be on Monday 29 January 2018 at 13:00 in the Scottish Health Service Centre, Edinburgh.
Office of the Chief Executive for NHSScotland
Email: Corporate Business Management Team email@example.com
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback