Attendees and apologies
- Dr Ewan Bell (Co-Chair), Associate Medical Director, NHS Dumfries and Galloway
- Professor Nicola Steedman, (Co-Chair), Deputy Chief Medical Officer, Scottish Government
- Dr Richard Anderson (part of the meeting), Deputy Director Centre for Reproductive Health, University of Edinburgh
- Adam Black, Nurse Consultant/Clinical Nurse Manager, NHS Lothian
- Neil Ferguson, Head of Planning, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
- Linsey Galbraith (guest), Principal Information Analyst, Public Health Scotland
- Dr Fiona Gibson, Clinician, NHS Highland
- Jennifer Jamieson, (deputy for Rhoda Macleod) Service Manager, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
- Dr Amber Keenan, Clinical Lead, NHS Grampian
- Kathryn Kinnear (part of the meeting), Service Manager, NHS Grampian
- Dr Anna Lamont, Medical Director, National Procurement Commissioning and Facilities, NHS National Services Scotland
- Jennifer Layden, (guest), Healthcare Improvement Scotland
- Kirstin Leath, Head of Health Equity and Equalities Unit, Scottish Government
- Kimberley MacInnes, Service Manager/Lead Nurse, NHS Highland
- Ryan McLeod, (deputy for Katrina Mitchell) Development Worker, LGBT Health and Wellbeing
- Dr Louise Melvin, Interim Clinical Lead, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
- Dr Christine Mimnagh, CMAGIC Clinical Lead, Mersey Care NHS Foundation Trust
- David Parker, Lead Clinician, National Gender Identity Clinical Network for Scotland
- Dr Ruth Pearce, Lecturer, University of Glasgow
- Evelyn Sheerin, Parent representative, TransparentSees
- Vic Valentine Manager, Scottish Trans Alliance
- Dr Fiona Wardell, Standards and Indicators Team Leader, Healthcare Improvement Scotland
- Mairi Watson, Information Consultant, Public Health Scotland
- Dr Michelle Watts, Senior Medical Adviser – Primary Care, Scottish Government
- Dr Sarah Weldon, Consultant Clinical Psychologist, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
- Colin Briggs, Director of Strategic Planning, NHS Lothian
- Jane Harris, Head of Programme, Postgraduate and Post-Registration Education and Continuing Professional Development, NHS Education for Scotland
- Rhoda Macleod, Head of Sexual Health, Prison and Police Services, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
- Jenny McNicol, Acute Director of Nursing and Midwifery, NHS Grampian
- Katrina Mitchell, Development Worker, LGBT Health and wellbeing
Items and actions
Welcome and introductions
Nicola Steedman (NS) welcomed attendees to the fifth meeting of the National Gender Identity Healthcare Reference Group (the Group). Apologies were noted and deputies welcomed, minutes of the previous meeting approved and completion of previous actions arising from the last meeting were noted. It was noted presentation from NHS Lothian strategic lead is due for completion at the next Group’s meeting.
NS noted the minutes of the previous meeting will be published on the Scottish Government website.
NS welcomed Linsey Galbraith from Public Health Scotland (PHS) who will present on substantive work beginning around waiting time data collection and reporting.
NS noted that Ben Vincent has now stepped down from the membership of the Group, and thanked them for their contribution to date.
Public Health Scotland presentation on waiting times
NS invited Mairi Watson (MW) and Linsey Galbraith (LG) to update the Group on progress to date, following PHS being commissioned by Scottish Government in this field.
LG highlighted the aim of PHS involvement is to help establish and support robust data collection concerning waiting times, as well as broader management information, for NHS gender identity clinics in Scotland.
The proposed information to be captured and eventually reported was outlined. Broad challenges to effective data collection were recognised.
LG noted positive engagement with boards to date currently providing a gender identity clinic. Further engagement would be undertaken, as scoping work continued and is refined.
NS thanked PHS for progressing this work and noted further updates will be provided to the Group in due course.
Scottish Government update
Secretariat highlighted a 28 July NHS England announcement relating to the future provision of gender identity healthcare for under 18s by NHS England.
An update from Scottish Government was provided, outlining developments relevant to commitments contained within the 2021 action framework.
It was confirmed Healthcare Improvement Scotland had been commissioned to develop standards and that work would begin soon. Regular progress updates will be provided to the Group in due course.
Board allocation 2022 to 2023
NS confirmed Scottish Government is considering allocation proposals, and hoped to advise health boards shortly. It was noted the wider national financial context remains challenging.
Update on review of the gender reassignment protocol for Scotland
David Parker (DP) spoke to the ongoing NHS National Services Scotland, National Services Division (NSD) review and update of the gender reassignment protocol for Scotland. It was confirmed that it is expected that there will be regular reviews of the new pathway, to take into account developing best practice.
It was highlighted that this was a substantial piece of work, with over 60 members with different expertise involved and contributing, across different workstreams.
DP shared that a summary of the revised clinical pathway and its recommendations was circulated to all health boards for consultation. Responses would be considered by NSD. NS noted the members can provide comment directly to NSD.
Any other business
No further business was raised.
Next meeting: Wednesday 28 September 9:00 to 11:00.
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback