Marine Scotland Science: directory
Details of specialists working for Marine Scotland Science.
This document is part of a collection
Dr Helen Dobby
Fisheries Assessment and Advice Programme
Stock Assessment and Modelling Group
Marine Scotland Science, Marine Laboratory, 375 Victoria Road, Aberdeen, AB11 9DB, UK
Details of specialism
As leader of the stock assessment and modelling group I have a wide interest in fish and shellfish population modelling, and expertise in a variety of stock assessment methods. I conduct research and analysis which provide the basis for scientific and technical advice to policy colleagues, fisheries managers and stakeholders, supporting the management of sustainable fish and shellfish fisheries. Within this broad area my particular focuses currently include:
- demersal fish stock assessment and management advice for the Scottish west coast
- the Nephrops assessment and advice framework using underwater video surveys
- stock assessment and modelling of scallops
Main policy links
- demersal fisheries management advice
- shellfish and inshore fisheries management advice
External committees and responsibilities
- member of the ICES Working Group for the Celtic Seas Ecoregion
- member of the ICES Scallop Assessment Working Group
- invited reviewer for scientific journals
- supervision of students at University of Aberdeen and University of Strathclyde (MASTS and SUPER-DTP funded)
Papers of relevance
Miethe T, Reecht Y and Dobby H (2019) Reference points for the length-based indicator Lmax5% for use in the assessment of data-limited stocks. ICES Journal of Marine Science 76 (7), 2125–2139.
Trijoulet V, Dobby H, Holmes SJ and Cook RM (2018) Bioeconomic modelling of grey seal predation impact on the West of Scotland demersal fisheries. ICES Journal of Marine Science 75 (4), 1374-1382.
Mesquita C, Dobby H, Pierce GJ, Jones CS and Fernandes PG (2020) Abundance and spatial distribution of brown crab (Cancer pagurus) from fishery-independent dredge and trawl surveys in the North Sea. ICES Journal of Marine Science 2020, fsaa105.
Mesquita C, Dobby H, Sweeting S, Jones CS and Pierce GJ (2020) Size-at-maturity of Brown Crab (Cancer pagurus) in Scottish waters based on gonadal and morphometric traits. Fisheries Research 229, 105610.
Bell M, Tuck I and Dobby H (2013) Nephrops species. In BF Phillips (Ed), Lobsters: Biology, Management, Aquaculture and Fisheries, 2nd ed., John Wiley & Sons, Chapter 12, pp. 357-413.
Marine Scotland Science
PO Box 101
375 Victoria Road
+44 (0)131 244 2500
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback