Dr Rory O'Hara Murray
My research primarily focuses on the possible effects the extraction of marine renewable energy, such as wave, tide and offshore wind, might have on the physical environment. It is especially important to consider the cumulative effects of a number of developments in a regional context. One example is the Pentland Firth and Orkney Waters (PFOW) where The Crown Estate has leased out a number of sites for wave and tidal stream development. My work mainly involves building and running computational hydrodynamic models, such as the Finite Volume Community Ocean Model (FVCOM). I am currently focused on the development of an FVCOM model of the east coast of Scotland to help understand the cumulative effects of multiple large wind farm developments on physical processes, such as current speeds and stratification. I am also actively using an FVCOM model of the PFOW to simulate the extraction of tidal energy.
I collaborate with scientists across Scotland and the UK, notably those involved in computational ocean modelling. I have very close collaborations with the University of Aberdeen where I occasionally lecture and work with the School of Biological Sciences within the MarCRF initiative. I am currently involved with two EPSRC-funded collaborative projects (TeraWatt and EcoWatt 2050) with a number of UK universities to build ocean models to help understand the large scale consequences of large developments of marine renewables energy (mainly wave and tidal).
See http://terawatt.weebly.com/ for more information.
Most Recent Publications
- O’Hara Murray, R.B., Gallego, A.G. (2017) Data review and the development of realistic tidal and wave energy scenarios for numerical modelling of Orkney Islands waters, Scotland. Ocean Coast. Manag. doi:10.1016/j.ocecoaman.2017.03.011
- O’Hara Murray, R.B., Gallego, A.G. (2017) A modelling study of the tidal stream resource of the Pentland Firth, Scotland, Renewable Energy. doi:10.1016/j.renene.2016.10.053
- Heath, M., Sabatino, A., Serpetti, N., McCaig, C., O’Hara Murray, R. (2016) Modelling the sensitivity of suspended sediment profiles to tidal current and wave conditions, Ocean Coast. Manag. doi:10.1016/j.ocecoaman.2016.10.018
- Gallego, A., Side, J., Baston, S., Waldman, S., Bell, M., James, M., Davies, I., O’Hara Murray, R., Heath, M., Sabatino, A., McKee, D., McCaig, C., Karunarathna, H., Fairley, I., Chatzirodou, A., Venugopal, V., Nemalidinne, R., Yung, T.Z., Vögler, A., MacIver, R., Burrows, M. (2016) Large scale three-dimensional modelling for wave and tidal energy resource and environmental impact: Methodologies for quantifying acceptable thresholds for sustainable exploitation. Ocean Coast. Manag. doi:10.1016/j.ocecoaman.2016.11.025
- Sabatino, A.D., O’Hara Murray, R.B., Hills, A., Speirs, D.C., Heath, M.R. (2016) Modelling sea level surges in the Firth of Clyde, a fjordic embayment in southwest Scotland, Natural Hazards, doi:10.1007/s11069-016-2506-7
- Sabatino, A.D., McCaig, C., O’Hara Murray, R.B., Heath, M.R. (2016). Modelling wave–current interactions off the east coast of Scotland. Ocean Sci. 12, 875-897. doi:10.5194/os-12-875-2016
Full publication list
Turrell, W. R., O'Hara Murray, R., Berx, B., & Gallego, A. (2014). The Science of Deepwater Oil Spills - Results from the 2013 Marine Scotland Science Workshop Scottish Marine and Freshwater Science (Vol. 5).
O’Hara Murray, R. B., P.D. Thorne, T.S. van der Bremer, L. M. Bricheno, K. H. Sparrow, J. C. Wright (2014) Briefing: Young Coastal Scientists and Engineers Conference 2013, Proceedings of the ICE – Maritime Engineering, 167 (MA2), 57 - 67
O’Hara Murray, R. B., D. M. Hodgson, and P. D. Thorne (2012) Wave groups and sediment resuspension processes over evolving sandy bedforms, Continental Shelf Research, 46, 16-30, doi: 10.1016/j.csr.2012.02.011
Brown, J. M., T. Chesher, A. J. Beveridge, S. H. Shafiai, R. B. O’Hara Murray, T. A. G. Smyth, L. M. Bricheno, and O. Way (2012), Briefing: Young Coastal Scientists and Engineers Conference 2011, Proceedings of the ICE – Maritime Engineering, 165 (1), 7 – 19
O’Hara Murray, R. B., P. D. Thorne, and D. M. Hodgson (2011), Intrawave observations of sediment entrainment processes above sand ripples under irregular waves, J. Geophys. Res., 116, C01001, doi:10.1029/2010JC006216
O'Hara Murray, R. B., P. D. Thorne, and D. M. Hodgson (May 2011), A study of sediment suspension in the diffusive and vortex regimes under irregular waves, in Proceedings of the Seventh International Symposium on Coastal Engineering and Science of Coastal Sediment Processes - Coastal Sediments 2011, Miami, USA
Thorne, P. D., A. G. Davies, R. Bolanos, and R. B. O’Hare Murray (May 2011), Measurement and modelling of suspended sediment size profiles above sandy rippled beds under waves, in Proceedings of the Seventh International Symposium on Coastal Engineering and Science of Coastal Sediment Processes - Coastal Sediments 2011, Miami, USA
O’Hara Murray, R. B., P. D. Thorne, D. M. Hodgson, and P. S. Bell (June 2009), Using acoustics to resolve intra-wave sediment transport processes over sand ripples under irregular waves at field scale, in Proceedings of the Third International Conference of Underwater Acoustics Measurements: Technologies and Results, Nafplion, Greece (commended talk).
0300 244 4000